VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    I recorded a video in a club. And its very dark.
    What can I do to make it look more bright and clear?
    I have Pinnacle Studio.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What type of video? DV AVI? Post a short sample but don't reencode. There are many tools that can adjust the brightness -- but the result will probably be very noisy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's .mp4 video.
    Recorded from Nokia mobile phone.

Here is a sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ee085fbbb34cd2a4111096d429abd360e04e75f6e8ebb871

Please help!
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm afraid that video is too far gone. There's hardly any detail left in the dark areas. If you lighten them up you will just see encoding quantization noise.

Was that a segment right off the phone or did you reencode it? Reencoding can eliminate dark details which you might otherwise be able to bring out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No reencode. Just the vid straight from the phone...
    I dont expect to make it look like its recorded on a sunny morning lol
    Just want to make it a liiiiiiitle bit better!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried a few tools but jagabo is correct; the dark areas contain nothing retrievable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had to convert this to mpeg4/divx first using mencoder.
    I used a vdub filter to crank up the RGB (gamma) and when you compare frame to frame, on some frames a bit more detail comes up but the overall image suffers. It was just a test so I didn't save any output but I took a couple of snaps. (Top original)

So you don't get too excited look at the distortion when you crank it up too high (3)

There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you SO much for your time people! I really appreciate that!
    Quote Quote  
  9. AviSynth can pull a little more detail out of the dark areas but it's mostly quantization noise. Here's the same frame as gll99's second pair with a similar (too much) gamma stretch:

Notice how areas of his image that are pure black still have some detail here. But it's nothing you want to see.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You need some special night vision camera next time you go to the club!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks again!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I realise this is beyond what you are asking but....

If this was a commercial restoration the individual frames would be extracted from the clip. The well lit frames would serve as a template to repaint the fixed objects on the dark frames and the rest would be repainted object by object and in some cases pixel by pixel to reconstruct the missing pieces in the other frames where objects/people have moved. filters would be applied to the result to maintain colour, contrast, brightness and balance across frames. Anything or anyone in the scenes that were never well lit could not be restored without some other reference material. Although some things could be approximated, such as the skin colour of an arm or a dark shape that was similar to another lit object in the room. It would take time, patience and money but it could be done.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That would be interesting... but sounds like too much trouble for a crappy cclub mobile phone video..

Thank you for your effort!
    Quote Quote