VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea if this topic is in right place but I hope so

Now to my questions.

I have a digital video camera (I dont know what kind because I'm home and the camera is not).
    The camera have a miniDV tape for a hour but I like to recording at least 8 hour non-stop and I guess I have to
    use a firewire cable and connect the camera to a laptop.

Question 1
    Is that possible, can all digital camera do that, and how (I know that is not easy when I dont know what kind of camera I
    have but is that something "default").

Question 2
    What program can I use, what I have found I can use windows movie maker but I like to have a program that can save as
    good quality as possible in AVI or even maybe MPEG. so is that any free program I can use or is windows movie maker
    good for me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the camera is MiniDV you will need an IEEE-1394 (aka Firewire or ILink) for best quality. If your laptop doesn't have this port you can add one with a PC card.

While MovieMaker can capture DV and export DV, the correct menu settings can get confusing. I recommend WinDV for capture which is simple.

DV format at 13GB/hr will require a large hard drive for storage (8hr = ~104GB).

Real time encoding can be done if your laptop is powerful enough. There will be a compromise in quality vs direct recording. Possible real time encoders

WMV - forced deinterlace.
    MPeg2 - CPU intensive
    MPeg4 - in most cases forced deinterlace and CPU intensive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Windows Movie Maker will capture with exactly the same quality as comes from the camcorder. When you plug in your camcorder via the FireWire connection you should see a window pop-up with an option to import the video.

There are other programs that will work, too, giving identical quality - the most common and recommended is WinDV. But Windows Movie Maker will do the job if you want it to.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the fast replay
    Yes I have a fast laptop but maybe not so big disk so I maybe have to add a USB disk to it but I think that is ok anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    ... But Windows Movie Maker will do the job if you want it to.
    You just need to remember to export from Movie Maker in DV-AVI format, not default WMV.

An external USB2 drive should work well with a modern fast laptop.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote