VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know I could add the idx/sub subs when converting avi to dvd in another tool, such as FAVC, but I just installed the new DVD Flick 1.3.0.5 and I'd like to learn how to use AviSynth scripts with DVD Flick. I don't see any mention in DVD Flick guides. On the DVD Flick site afaics it just mentions that AviSynth scripts can be used.

In FAVC it's obvious because it makes AviSynth scripts and executes them. With DVD Flick I can figure out how to load the plugin but I'm not sure where to put the VobSub() call to hard code the subs during video processing.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'll ignore that hardcoding subs into DVDs is pretty silly and image degrading when you can just as easily make them selectable. Anyway, load the VSFilter.dll near the top of the script. You're converting an AVI to DVD, right? So, since you have VobSubs, you want the subs loaded after the resize (if text-based subs, like SRT or SSA, it might be done differently). A typical script might then go:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\VSFilter.dll")
    AVISource("C:\Path\To\Movie.avi",Audio=False)#I don't know if DVD Flick handles the audio separately or not
    Lanczos4Resize(xxx,yyy)
    AddBorders(0,aa,0,bb)#or whatever
    VobSub("C:\Path\To\Movie.idx")
    ConvertToYUY2()#for CCE and some other encoders (But not HCEnc)

Test the script in VDub(Mod). If necessary, you can change the colors and position of the subs in VobSub Configure (included in the VobSub package). Sometimes the VobSubs will have been created for both 4:3 and 16:9 use. Other times there will be separate subs for both 4:3 and 16:9. If it's one of those cases, you had better hope you have the right subs (or get them yourself, or OCR to some text-based format). VobSubs meant for a 4:3 display can look very strange if encoded for 16:9, and vice-versa.

You can also try putting them before the resize line to see if they look any better, or if the size is more to your liking. When you open the script in VDub(Mod), resize the screen so it shows either a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, whichever DAR you'll be using when doing the encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll ignore that hardcoding subs into DVDs is pretty silly and image degrading when you can just as easily make them selectable.

Thanks for the reply. What's the trick to making them selectable if that's an alternative?
    Most of the tools I use don't accept graphical subs so the AviSynth method is a work-around.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks like FAVC accepts only SRT subs (a big drawback in my book). So, either download them from some subtitle site or OCR them from the IDX/SUB with SubRip or Sub Resynch (included with VobSub).
    Most of the tools I use don't accept graphical subs so the AviSynth method is a work-around.
    I author using Muxman, which accepts subs in either SUP format (IDX/SUB can be instantly converted to SUP using SubtitleCreator), or in SST format, both of which are graphical sub formats.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right but if I check "do not run batch file" in FAVC then I can stick in one VobSub() line at the end of the processing, hard code the subs, and run 4 copies of the video converter on my quad core. The thing will be done by the time I OCR stuff. I'm not that much of a stickler for pristine video. Fast and decent is my motto. I'm gettin' too old to wait for stuff.

I was mainly curious if there was some place-holder for when Flick was going to start processing, but I guess it just reads the input script and takes whatever you do up to that point. Turned out I could add the VobSub line right after the source line. I tried it with LanczosResize() and that produced the same result but at 90 fps throughput instead of 140.

At least if I have to use Flick I can stick the subs in. I don't have a 50" LCD TV. If I did then maybe I'd have to get the cleanest video. But on my equipment I'm not going to see the benefit anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. btw I tried the latest DVDSubEdit and converting idx/sub to .srt required no keying at all. If you have idx/sub files just convert to .sup using SubToSup then load into DVDSubEdit. Run OCR and export to .srt. Of course if you have a VIDEO_TS it will pull subs from vob title sets and OCR directly. Very nice tool.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Payware Convert X to DVD accepts sub/idx subtitles. No OCR involved.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The original question was about DVD Flick since there are some things Flick does very well without a lot of intervention. Plus it's free.
    Quote Quote