VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I used AnyDVD (6.5.2.2) to rip a commercial DVD (that I own, of course) to my hdd. When I play the VOBs, there is no audio sync problem whatsoever. However, I've now encoded that same set of VOBs to Divx (using Divx 7 Pro) and to MKV (using Divx 7 Pro, StaxRip, RipBot and AutoMKV) and every single file produced has the video ~450ms behind the audio.

Is it even theoretically possible that in ripping a dvd to hdd, that AnyDVD (6.5.2.2) could produce a set of VOBs with the audio out of sync?

Until this happened, I would have thought it impossible for a ripper (such as AnyDVD, but including others, such as DVDDecryptor) to produce VOBs which are in any way different than the originals (except sans encryption, of course). And after all, the VOBs have no sync issues when I play them directly. But then why would four different programs all produce encodes of those VOBs which all have the same audio sync issue?

Companion thread at Slysoft's (maker's) forum.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you rip it with dvdfab decrypter do you get same sync issue?

Some dvds have an ac3 delay. But it should work okey if you open the ifo/dvd folder and not just vob files in for example autogk.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Some dvds have an ac3 delay. But it should work okey if you open the ifo/dvd folder and not just vob files in for example autogk.
    Originally Posted by Webslinger
    This is not an Anydvd issue. Anydvd does not touch sound at all.
    The problem is with your third party software conversion, which may not be handling interleaved cells properly or otherwise being unable to parse .isos properly (but the problem may simply be an issue with conversion).

1. Right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection.

a) Run your dvd playback software. Open/select the "video_ts.ifo" file that your ripped to your harddrive. Playback fine? Probably. Then the problem has absolutely nothing to do with Anydvd

2. Use Clonedvd mobile with .vob passthrough on the video_ts folder you created in step 1.

3. Now try your conversion software on the output you created in step 2. Still have problems with audio? Blame your conversion software
    Baldrick and Webslinger both mention IFO... I'm confused... Are you saying [but I'm too dense to understand right off] that there is a difference between telling an encoder "encode from VTS_10_1.VOB (through VTS_10_5.VOB)" instead of "encode VTS_10_0.IFO"? In my case, the main movie of Madagascar Escape 2 Africa is in VTS_10_1.VOB through VTS_10_5.VOB (with VTS_10_0.VOB being the main menu). With every encoding program I used, I just pointed it at VTS_10_1.VOB and each understood that I wanted from VTS_10_1.VOB through VTS_10_5.VOB. I never explicitly told any of these programs to use the IFO file. I'm sure that each could "see" the IFO, but I dunno if that matters. Have I been doing it wrong? Is my sync problem caused by user error?

NOTE: Webslinger's comments appear in the Slysoft forum companion thread.
    Quote Quote