VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to this forum and I hope it's ok to post this here. I have a PAL DVD movie that works fine in my computer but when I put it in my home DVD player (Philips DVP 3345v) I get sound and the video is B&W and flashy. I do not know too much about video but the specs on the DVD Player say it plays NTSC & PAL. Does it not play properly because the TV is not NTSC? Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not familiar with that particular model but other Philips players have settings that control how PAL and NTSC DVDs are played. Go the the players video setup section and look for a video standard or video output setting. There are usually three settings: Multi, NTSC, and PAL. It is probably set at Multi (PAL DVD comes out of the palyer as PAL video, NTSC DVD comes out as NTSC video). Change it to NTSC. The player should then convert PAL DVD to an analog NTSC signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read through the manual and I believe the problem lies with the TV not being able to do PAL actually. It's quite old. Thanks for the response.

from the user manual, "The color system of the DVD may be listed on the DVD or on the disc case.Your TV must have the NTSC
    and/or PAL color system as well."
    Quote Quote  
  4. In Europe most TVs will display both PAL and NTSC video. But most TVs sold in the USA will only display NTSC signals. You set the DVD player to convert the PAL DVD to an NTSC signal for NTSC TVs. I've used a half dozen different Philips DVD players over the last several years (though never a DVD/VCR combo) and all of them have been able to do this. If yours can't it's time to get a new player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did not find that option in the settings. The manual talks about being able to read the PAL DVD's but it also says the TV must be able to read it basically.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp3345v_17/dvp3345v_17_dfu_aen.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, I didn't see the video standard setting in the pdf. Time for a new player. The Philips DVP 5990 (and 5992) is inexpensive (~$55 at Walmart), can easily be made region free, converts PAL to NTSC, and is Divx certified. No s-video output and no upscaling to component though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help jagabo.
    Quote Quote