VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Were can I find a Pal SVHS player?

The only one I could find on ebay was this -
    PANASONIC AG-W1

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AG-W1-WorldWide-PAL-NTSC-SECAM-VHS-SVHS-VCR_W0QQitemZ220341862510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_ recorders_Players?hash=item220341862510&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Aside from being kind of expensive, I am not clear wether this is a SVHS player, is Quasi Super VHS Playback means that it is?

What I am looking to do is - to view and possibly convert to DVD - 9 Pal SVHS tapes.

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's quasi and that means so-so image.

Keep checking around as well as your local Craig's List.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Scooter_NJ, also tried Craig's List, nothing there yet, will keep looking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would question that a PAL s-vhs will improve on a good non s-vhs PAL vcr, if you want suggestions, try Panasonic , the one you mention is a converting vcr for pal ntsc and beyond, a good one is great, many are worn out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160315027742&category=3318&_trksi...%3D4%26ps%3D56

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-NV-HS900-SVHS-HiFi-nicam-Super-VHS_W0QQitemZ170302746208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Con sumerElec_VCRs?hash=item170302746208&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1| 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NV-HD660B-Panasonic-video-recorder-player-Remote_W0QQitemZ190287000072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ConsumerElec_VCRs?hash=item190287000072&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318

The UK JVC's S-VHS are not as well made.

what brand were your vhs tapes recorded on
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Victoriabears.

These payers you linked look very promising, but how does it work buying from UK, wouldn't the shipping add hundreds to the price?

All of my tapes are in Pal format. I expect most of these tapes contain home family videos. And these tapes are about 15 years old. I would love to see what is on them and convert them all to dvds.

SVHS tapes are black Sony SuperVHS tapes with gold writing on them - "Premier Audio & Video Performance" and a large V, there doesn't seem to be any other name to them.

I also have a few VHS tapes, most of which are TDK HS, some in white and some on black covers.

And I also have 7 VHSC tapes, which are TDK EHG, JVC EHG and JVC SX 45 and 30 minutes tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ah apologies, didn't see the USA location.

What are you using to record them to?,,a pal dvd recorder?

All you would need is adaptor to play the "C" tapes ina full size vcr.

Shipping from the uk with the seller using www.parcels2go.com

would be about us$70.00. The UK pannys work fine on 110 even thought they do not say so

I have vcr's that I can sell for us$70.00 plus about US$20.00 shipping.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, thank you for the offer it seems very fair.

I was hoping to record directly on computer, maybe into final cut or imovie, and to use my NTSC Canon Elura, as an intermediate box, which has a video in and dv out, hoping it will allow the signal trough with out recording it and maybe computer will be able to capture it in what ever Pal or NTSC.

here is a link to the camera details page
    http://camcorders.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=camcorders&cdn=gadge...modelid%3D8272
    Quote Quote  
  8. Doubt the camera will allow a PAL pass through or convert, so you'd end up with a PAL DVD, can you play those on your equipment ?

PM me if you want to discuss a purchase.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as I can get the videos into the computer as .mov files I will be happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mov's? You certainly don't want to do that. DVD is mpeg2
    Mov, wmv, and flv are usually highly compressed final formats reserved for display on the internet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I entirely disagree that the JVC PAL machines are not as good as NTSC ones. My JVC HR-S7965EK is a pretty nice machine. It's S-VHS, TBC, B.E.S.T. filters, etc. It works pretty darn good. It cleans up image noise like the NTSC ones do.

I bought mine brand new from UK (German-made unit) about 4-5 years ago. Friend overseas helped me with buying and shipping.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just to clarify Imeant that UKJVC's were not as well made as UK Pannys, I would also say that about JVC USA against Panny USA, of the same vintage.

As to how good they are is in the eye of the beholder, myself I have found no tapes of mine that benefitted from JVC's, but again thats to my eyes.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rheabeth

PANASONIC AG-W1

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AG-W1-WorldWide-PAL-NTSC-SECAM-VHS-SVHS-VCR_W0QQitemZ220341862510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_ recorders_Players?hash=item220341862510&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Aside from being kind of expensive, I am not clear wether this is a SVHS player, is Quasi Super VHS Playback means that it is?
    It means can playback S-VHS tapes but only in composite video mode, there's no S-video output socket. You might also want to look for one of these: Samsung World Wide SV-5000 which is virtually the same machine but much cheaper when new. A friend swears by it. Use a standalone DVD recorder to archive the VHS recordings, much less hassle than a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  14. sorry to be contrary, the Panny ag-w1 gives a better picture, but then it is more than twice the samsung price.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most USA TVs won't display PAL signals at all.

However, converting them to NTSC is either expensive or very slow or reduces the quality dramatically.

If you do convert, make sure you keep a PAL version. If you ever want to send a copy to someone in a PAL country, taking the PAL>NTSC converted version and converting it back into PAL would give something pretty unwatchable.

You can always play PAL content on a PC, and you can often connect PCs to TVs - the PC will do the conversion - it'll look no worse than it does normally on a PC (i.e. not as good as on a TV, but not terrible).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. avoid those "QUASI SVHS playback" machines - they work, but the quality from S-VHS on them is slightly worse than VHS, and sometimes fine detailed patterns on the original tape cause the picture to go very strange (e.g. very wobbly and grey). They are just very normal domestic VCRs - very common over here a few years ago.

A real S-VHS machine will look far better, but S-VHS machines are comparably rare.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    Most USA TVs won't display PAL signals at all.

However, converting them to NTSC is either expensive or very slow or reduces the quality dramatically.
    Both of the VCRs mentioned above convert PAL VHS tapes to NTSC output. The results are very good except for commercial movies.

Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    P.S. avoid those "QUASI SVHS playback" machines - they work, but the quality from S-VHS on them is slightly worse than VHS, and sometimes fine detailed patterns on the original tape cause the picture to go very strange (e.g. very wobbly and grey). They are just very normal domestic VCRs - very common over here a few years ago.
    I think you're confusing quasi S-VHS playback as introduced by Panasonic on their top edit machines many years ago with quasi S-VHS recording developed by JVC much later? The former is for playback of true S-VHS recordings made on another machine only. Picture quality is the same as from the composite output of a true S-VHS machine, ie: better than standard VHS but not as good as from a S-video socket.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much everyone for such a knowledgeable feedback, I really appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't describing recording S-VHS signals onto VHS tapes. The deck linked in the first post is clearly SQPB - playing back genuine S-VHS tapes, but in (sub) VHS quality.

btw, JVC's "S-VHS on VHS tape" was hardly a revelation - some of us had been doing that for years by making an extra hole in the back of VHS tapes! It worked better with better tapes (and, conversely, not very well with most tapes!), but was sometimes worth the effort.

I can't agree with your subjective opinion of the quality of PAL>NTSC conversion in these "world standard" VCRs. Why anyone would use one (except for speed) when you can do much better in software (and, IMO, that's still not "very good"), I don't know.

Luckily in Europe almost all TVs can play both "PAL" and "NTSC", so it's not an issue, unless it's for broadcast.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did the SVHS on VHS tape by having a tech remove the pin that detected an SVHS shell.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Rheabeth

PANASONIC AG-W1
    I found one for you Here

I got nearly the same model (8600ms) and it's a nice machine it plays mesecam, secam, pal & ntsc(pal60) tbc ,3 days left it's up to you
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    btw, JVC's "S-VHS on VHS tape" was hardly a revelation - some of us had been doing that for years by making an extra hole in the back of VHS tapes! It worked better with better tapes (and, conversely, not very well with most tapes!), but was sometimes worth the effort.
    You got me interested, can you tell me more about the procedure (a pciture maybe?) ?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I have any now, but it was quite easy. Look at the bottom of an S-VHS tape, and look at the bottom of a VHS one. There's an extra hole in the S-VHS tape shell, on the left, in that line/groove about 1 inch up from the bottom.

Ah, here's a picture:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/124305.jpg
    from here:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/124304.html
    ...which is about doing a similar thing, but for DVHS! It seems the holes go in pairs - I didn't worry about that - my VCR only had one detector pin.

I didn't modify my S-VHS VCR in any way. I just got a small pointed screwdriver, and poked/burrowed the appropriate hole into some VHS tapes to test. When put into my VCR, the machine believed that these were real S-VHS tapes, and recorded S-VHS signals onto them.

These VHS tapes maintained the resolution of real S-VHS, but typically were more noisy - far more noisy for really cheap VHS tapes.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drilling made a mess, so a lot of folks I knew would take a hot poker and quickly melt a hole into the clamshell. No mess to gunk up the tape or recorders that way!

TDK EHG (aka DSP aka Vivid) and JVC EX Gold tapes were the only tapes I could ever find that would do a truly excellent job of S-VHS-ET (ET = extended timebase) recordings. It held the color, it had finer grain than regular VHS recordings, and it would record without any magnetic drop-outs. Cheap tapes were usually grainy as hell, color-lacking, and would develop magnetic dropouts because the S-VHS recording heads just damaged the crap out of them.

I still have a small stock of about a dozen TDK blanks, should I need tapes. I used some this year, for a small personal project.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find it funny discussing which tapes work better or which are worse. IMO, ive had good and bad results with all brands of tape. Over the years I dont know what happens to these tapes but they sometimes dont play well (like not tracking well or at all in hi fi, time base errors, stretching, etc) and id have to make sure the reels are tightened by using the back of a screwdriver and tightening it and that would sometimes help and sometimes not and then again some tapes play perfectly. But as ive learned, its important that the tape around the reels is as tight as possible when playing them back. And my main weapon of choice is the jvc 9800.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Its also how they have been stored,and in what environment.

http://www.preservation.gc.ca/info/faq_5_e.asp

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-VHS-to-DVD
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Its also how they have been stored,and in what environment.

http://www.preservation.gc.ca/info/faq_5_e.asp

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-VHS-to-DVD
    They say that tapes should be stored at certain temperature but ive had tapes stored in the right temperatures that have played well as well as not and the same goes for storing them in a hot garage. I dont think it matters, some tapes play well and some dont, that goes for anyone with lots of tapes. Thats from my experience. I dont know if putting them in a different shell would help but I can try it. Also rewinding and fast forwarding them several times, may help or may not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you searched for a quality dub house? For 9 tapes why reinvent the wheel and sort out all this capital equipment?

Dub houses serve various markets. Most will transcode PAL to NTSC with pro level hardware standards converters.

Ranked by price expectation.

1. $$$$$ Forensic restoration
    2. $$$ Broadcast or DVD production clip source
    3. $$ Ethnic immigrant conversion of PAL home tapes to NTSC
    4. $ Mass internet low cost low quality. These guys may just use a multistandard consumer deck.

I think you are looking for #2 or # 3.

Back in the early 90's I was enjoying a brew at NAB from Snell and Wilcox (large producer of pro transcoders) and asked them for a typical customer profile. To my surprise, a very large segment was Chinese laundries in major US cities that had an upstairs business converting PAL tapes from home to NTSC. Back then these standards converters cost in the 5 figures.
    http://www.snellwilcox.com/products/conversion_restoration/

Today this can be done much cheaper but the high volume demand is still the PAL region immigrants (e.g. China, India, Middle East, Africa). Google will find them.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote