VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I hope somebody can help me with what I am going to do, which is to transfer a video from an Hi8 camcorder directly to pc. My camcorder doesn't have a usb output but only S-video. Do you think its possible to transfer the video directly to pc without converting it first to cd? Maybe, using the S-video output, would that be possible? I know some people have the equipment to convert it to cd but I don't have the budget for that. And, also I think I have read it somewhere that you could actually do that but I forgot where or what website that was. Or, maybe anybody can direct me to an online HowTos regarding this venture. Thank you very much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will need either a settop dvd recorder that connects to a tv or a computer capture card.

https://www.videohelp.com/capturecards

That is a place to start looking for capture cards. Make sure the model your looking at has rca and svhs inputs. Some are just tv tuner models that don't accept other inputs.

As far as a budget is concerned standard definition capture cards that can record from external sources like your video camera are very inexpensive. You're bound to find many under 50.00 USD. Probably a lot cheaper if you check online auction sites like ebay. Personally I'd stick to name brands like pinnacle, hauppauge and others if you go the used route.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion yoda313.

So, is it really not possible to transfer videos from an Hi8 camcorder without using capture cards? I guess I have to buy or look for one then if that really is not possible to just hook up a camcorder like mine. But if someone know any other options just give me a buzz ok?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Certain Sony D8 camcorders can play back Hi8 tapes for capsfer over firewire, (Sony calls it iLink). I have one of those and it works great, but that's a far more expensive option than a capture card. But no, there is no way for you to connect your camcorder to the computer without another device to convert the analog output of the camcorder to the digital input required by the computer. There also some USB capture devices, but I've never used one that works reliably with good quality. A capture card is your best option to get your Hi8 tapes transferred to your computer.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote