VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, trying to do something basic here - I have some .MKV files in h264 video that need to be downsized (existing 1024x576 down to, say, 704x400) so that XBMC on an old Xbox can stream them correctly.

I unpacked them with the MKVToolnix utility, which rendered out 5 files - the .264 file, the aac audio, the .ass subtitle, and two TTF font files.

Rerendered the video portion to the size I wanted it in 264, all is fine. Now I'm trying to REPACK the .MKV, and for some reason every time I do so, the .ASS subtitles refuse to reassociate with the fonts and the file plays back using the system default fonts instead.

If it matters (and there is a new version hiding somewhere I haven't been locate) the merge tool is MKVMerge 2.2.0 out of the MKVToolnix pack.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

AFAIK, normally the fonts are part of the .ASS files themselves,
    and MKVtoolnix should not strip/have-stripped the TTF files
    Try extracting the subtitles with AVI-Mux GUI ---
    --- which can function as an MKV muxer as well.

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you get AVI-Mux to extract them? It seems to be a Muxer only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use the right button of the mouse.

\\\\

Quote Quote  
  5. Here is another method:

Don't unpack anything with mkvextract

Use the original mkv and mkvmergegui, checkmark everything except the old h264 video, add in the new h264 video (checkmark it)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Here is another method:

Don't unpack anything with mkvextract

Use the original mkv and mkvmergegui, checkmark everything except the old h264 video, add in the new h264 video (checkmark it)
    That worked really well. Any suggestion if I still want to pull and edit the subtitle file though? It's in 48-pt font which might not work well, I might want to take it down to 28-30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know for sure...

If you demux the script again, the attachments will be stripped from the script
    I think when you use mkvextract, they are no longer associated. That's probably why leaving it in the original mkv worked (using mkvmerge only, instead of mkvextract)

To edit then re-attach, I think you have to use the attachment manager in aegisub to re-attach. Then mkvmerge again. I don't know if you have to enter it as an attachment in mkvmerge, or if the ssa/ass alone will suffice. The link suggests mkvmerge will do it automatically but you can try and report back if it works for you

http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Attachment_Manager
    Quote Quote