VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured before I video card I better get my stuff straight on what cards can or can't output. I'm not big into gaming but I would like something with HD capabilites. All I have right now is an CRT tube tv that I play captured tv shows on (I capture using an old Pentium 3). So, considering I will be upgrading to a P4 and a HD TV soon, I’m looking for any help I can get. I’ve done a little research and it has lead me to these questions:

When cards say they have s-video and a DVI output, does the s-video serve as a HD output as well?

Assuming the format of the DVI is DVI-I coming out of the card, would I get better quality choosing to buy a DVI-I to RCA cable for the video to my analog tv or is just buying a s-video to RCA cable going to give the same quality of output?

Am I going to need to buy a converter if I make a DVI connection with my analog tv?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GLE3
    I figured before I video card I better get my stuff straight on what cards can or can't output. I'm not big into gaming but I would like something with HD capabilites. All I have right now is an CRT tube tv that I play captured tv shows on (I capture using an old Pentium 3). So, considering I will be upgrading to a P4 and a HD TV soon, I’m looking for any help I can get. I’ve done a little research and it has lead me to these questions:
    Well first we need to address PIII/P4 vs modern Core2Duo. Your PIII/P4 motherboards will most likely be using AGP for video card interface so you are restricted for choice. Best you can get is ATI with AVIVO processing or NVIDIA with PureVideo processing. Both can connect S-Video (~640x480 SD), analog component (480i/480p/720p/1080i), VGA (VESA computer resolutions) or DVI-D (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p). DVI-I can output VGA or DVI-D. DVI-D can connect to HDMI through an adapter cable.

You will find it difficult to buy a new AGP display card. Newer motherboards use PCIe slots for the video card.

When cards say they have s-video and a DVI output, does the s-video serve as a HD output as well?
    S-Video is a downscaled SD resolution. It contains analog Y (luminance) and C (NTSC modulated chrominance).

Assuming the format of the DVI is DVI-I coming out of the card, would I get better quality choosing to buy a DVI-I to RCA cable for the video to my analog tv or is just buying a s-video to RCA cable going to give the same quality of output?
    DVI-I outputs VGA or DVI-D. It does NOT output analog composite (RCA) or S-Video. Those are output from a circular DIN "TV" connector (4, 7 or 9 pin). Analog component YPbPr is sometimes available on the 7 or 9 pin TV connector. Read the card specs.

Some older ATI cards provide analog componet YPbPr via an adapter on the DVI-I port. This is a non-standard proprietary solution.

Am I going to need to buy a converter if I make a DVI connection with my analog tv?
    You will connect your analog TV through the circular TV connector. An S-Video cable will plug directly into the "TV" port. Most cards come with a DIN to RCA (yellow) adapter for composite NTSC.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An HDTV can connect various ways:

1. HDMI (digital) used for video/DVD playback.

2. PC/Game (analog VGA) used for computer desktop apps or video games.

3. Analog Component YPbPr used for video/DVD playback.

4. S-Video used for older SD equipment

5. Composite used for older SD equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff.

So just to recap:

The best resolution I can get on a analog CRT is ~640x480 SD using an S-video(composite) connection from PC to TV. My TV does have component inputs though. Would that mean I would fall under "analog component (480i/480p/720p/1080i)" then? I would just have to by a s-video to component cable and make sure the card is Analog component YPbPr compatible. Correct?

One last thing... Once I buy my HD TV all I would need is a DVD-D to HDMI cable?

Thanks again, GLE3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff.

So just to recap:

The best resolution I can get on a analog CRT is ~640x480 SD using an S-video(composite) connection from PC to TV. My TV does have component inputs though. Would that mean I would fall under "analog component (480i/480p/720p/1080i)" then? I would just have to by a s-video to component cable and make sure the card is Analog component YPbPr compatible. Correct?

One last thing... Once I buy my HD TV all I would need is a DVD-D to HDMI cable?

Thanks again, GLE3
    Analog component on your current TV most likely is 480i only. The connection will be DIN TV port to analog component unless it is an older ATI card. The card should have the component cable included.

Example NVidia GeForce 7600-GS (AGP)

Warning! A card like above may overload your computer's power supply. You might need to choose a lower card.

When you get an HDTV, you would connect to VGA for desktop or games (no overscan), or analog component or HDMI for movies (with overscan). Some HDTV sets have a no-overscan mode for HDMI.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need help on pc to tv connection. I have a Dell notebooke with S-video and VGA output and a HD TV with a S-video input on the front and a DVI input in the rear. I used a S-Video cable from my notebook to my TV but the text is barely readable. I tried all types of adjustments - PC/TV resolution, Text sizing, etc but with very little improvement. Will I get a much better text resolution if I buy a VGA to DVI cable?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Carlom,

If you could provide the model of your notebook and HD TV, we'd be able to look up the specs better able to answer the question.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlom
    I need help on pc to tv connection. I have a Dell notebooke with S-video and VGA output and a HD TV with a S-video input on the front and a DVI input in the rear. I used a S-Video cable from my notebook to my TV but the text is barely readable. I tried all types of adjustments - PC/TV resolution, Text sizing, etc but with very little improvement. Will I get a much better text resolution if I buy a VGA to DVI cable?
    If your TV supported VGA it would have a VGA input. The TV's DVI connector would be DVI-D not DVI-I so it won't work from a VGA port.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

That leaves S-Video as the only option for that TV and that notebook. S-Video results in about 640x480 or less resolution at the monitor. The try digital 800x600 or 640x480 for better text legibility and enlarge the display typeface.
    Quote Quote