VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello! I am currently debating on whether to return my 37 inch Sony Bravia LCD tv and get a 26inch LCD monitor instead. On the LCD tv I have noticed its considerably harder to aim accurately in FPS, even though the picture is much larger than on my old 22 inch LCD monitor. I have the mouse speed set to max in Vista and in the Razor mouse settings. The resolution is set at 1920x1080, and my Radeon 4870 X2 handles the resolution well. My main concern is eye strain (desk allows LCD tv to be only slightly more than an arms length away in distance). Moving the mouse even with my razor brand w/ good mouse pad designed for smooth movement is rather tricky to get right. Is this considered normal for people who play FPS on big LCD screens?
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDTVs often have a lag between the signal that's input and the time it shows up on the screen. This is to allow for temporal filtering, IVTC, etc. They often have a setting that minimizes the lag. Look for a game mode or some such.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need more distance to the LCD-TV or downsize the screen.

Similar to watching movies from the first row in a theater.

If you go to a monitor, you no longer have a TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. As long as the dot pitch isn't bothering you I don't see a problem with the size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies guys. Let me see if I can explain what I am experiencing in a FPS, like CoD 4. When I try to aim up at a window for example, the ironsight tends to overshoot its target by a tad, causing to me readjust to center it on the target. As a test, I tried moving the mouse quickly on the desktop to touch icons. It's very difficult to get the mouse pointer exactly on a desktop icon w/o overshooting it some either to the left or right. Is this what you mean by dot pitch?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, you are describing video lag. To reduce the lag look for a game mode in the TV's settings. If there isn't a specific game mode disable as much video filtering as you can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're watching it fullscreen (no pip) at arms length of roughly 30" then a 37" is probably too close. It's personal taste but I probably wouldn't use it at less than 1 1/2 times the diagonal size. ie 37" = 56" approx. (or more)
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote