VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you use a third party universal remote for your media components?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    THIS POLL IDEA IS BY EPICURUS8A - THANKS!

Entertainment Centers can be quite complicated these days. With that in mind, do you use an after-market "Universal" Remote for your Entertainment Center?

1. Yes, exclusively.
    2. Yes, for some things.
    3. No, just the manufacturers remote(s).
    4. I don't use or need an Entertainment Center / "Universal Remote."
    5. Other. (Please explain.)

Please share your experiences and thoughts on this subject.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, exclusively. A logitech harmony. Works PERFECT!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Every time I pick up a universal remote I end up returning it because it doesn't work with half of my components. I do sometimes use the universal capability of some manufacturers remotes, but it's never good for more than one other component.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My harmony one works with all my stuff, even with a noname hdmi switcher I bought from ebay. You update it on your computer connected to logitechs online component database.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/3898&cl=US,EN ! Only $250. .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been intending to buy a Harmony for several years. In the meantime I have an extra large felt lined antique wooden cigar box that holds all the remotes.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the living room we use Comcast's remote for the cable box/DVR, the TV (which is functioning only as a monitor) and limited use on the receiver (power & volume is all it can do).
    Still have the original remote for the DVD and receiver.

In the Home Theater room we use the remote that came with the receiver because it's the same brand as all the other components and does well. Have a wireless keyboard & mouse for the HTPC.

In the bedroom it's the old monster sized $ony RM-AV2100 Universal that we used to have in the Home Theater.

This mama-jamma will run anything and what it's not already programmed for it can learn.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's an entertainment center :P

I use one of these to control all my electronics:

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!

I used a Harmony for a year or so. Now I'm using a Universal URC-50 and couldn't be happier. It makes the Harmony look like a cheap toy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-URC-R50-Digital/dp/B001KC08AE/ref=sr_1_...4508240&sr=8-1

My wife, on the other hand, needs a remote that works via mind control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doh!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can never get the Universal remotes to work together, waste of time...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have too much stuff to use a universal.
    TV room has ...
    3 tvs, 1sound system 3DVD players, 1 PS3, 1 VCR
    Always have at least 2 TVs on plus the sound sys.
    Some of the above items come with smart remotes and I don't even bother to program them to use anything else.

And that's just the TV room... every room has some stuff

Oh yeah, I have programed my 2 analog to digital boxes for a specific TV but that's it.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    Thanks!

I used a Harmony for a year or so. Now I'm using a Universal URC-50 and couldn't be happier. It makes the Harmony look like a cheap toy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-URC-R50-Digital/dp/B001KC08AE/ref=sr_1_...4508240&sr=8-1

My wife, on the other hand, needs a remote that works via mind control.
    What model Harmony, they have cheap ones and expensive ones. I have an 880 and am pretty happy with it.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to Harmony. I have the 550. The buttons are small and it feels flimsy.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=us,en
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Harmony 880 quite a few months back, when it was on sale at a very good price.
    There was a specific task I had in mind for it -- impersonating a Pioneer service remote --
    but the occasion for using that has not come up yet. I do intend to explore its more conventional
    uses at some point, though so far I've not gotten around to it. Therefore, this likely qualifies
    as an uninformed opinion . . . but my initial impression is that such gizmos fall into a category a
    friend of mine likes to call "Solutions in search of a problem." It is a broader and more common
    category than you might think.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Call me cheap, call me frugal.....

When Dishnetwork came out with it's learning remote I jumped on it. The TV Button controls the TV. I programmed the Aux button to control the sound and inputs on the TV set, The WD TV Media player, and the Surround sound system inputs and volume. I will probably program the DVD button to control the DVD Changer, TV inputs and volume and the surround sound system inputs and volume.

It doesn't handle every function the original remotes handle, it does handle the functions I use. It was $20 + S&H.

I have had several different brand universal remotes over the years. This one is smaller, simpler and does what I need.

Cheers

BTW OT question. Anyone from the UK that could explain about Public school. Dad's Army for example Captain Mainwaring makes disparaging remarks about Sgt Wilson's having attended a posh Public school. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Let me count

1. TV and cable
    2. DTV
    3. Surround sound
    4. DVD
    5. DVD recorder

Many of my friends have in addition of

6. DVR
    7. Pay per view
    8. Game console
    9. Light
    10. Remote to locate the remotes
    11. Remote to locate the key-chain
    12. Remote to repel the mother-in-law....
    13. The RF remote for that missing Black and White 16.67 inch RCA-Victor TV
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Call me cheap, call me frugal.....

<snip>
    BTW OT question. Anyone from the UK that could explain about Public school. Dad's Army for example Captain Mainwaring makes disparaging remarks about Sgt Wilson's having attended a posh Public school. Thanks
    A UK Public school would be called a Private school anywhere else.
    i.e. it's a fee paying establishment as opposed to a free state-run school.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Logitech Harmony Remotes are controlling everything including the hard to find D-Link DSM-320, Klegg MediaShare (pretty rare), PS3, old PVR-501 and Aiwa 5.1 Dolby Digital Receiver. Oh, It also controls all three of my Camcorders including the new Canon HD-FH100. Wouldn't be without it now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by KBeee
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Call me cheap, call me frugal.....

<snip>
    A UK Public school would be called a Private school anywhere else.
    i.e. it's a fee paying establishment as opposed to a free state-run school.
    Thanks. I sort of suspected it could be something like that. Two countries seperated by a common language
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the universal remote control out of necessity. I bought one for convenience, then my obsessively anti-clutter, lovely wife tossed out every original remote in the house.

There are STILL functions on my DVD player I can't access.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Did I mentioned the famous clapper?

See wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clapper

Also
    Originally Posted by Nitemare
    I use the universal remote control out of necessity. I bought one for convenience, then my obsessively anti-clutter, lovely wife tossed out every original remote in the house..
    With your tooth mark on your lovely wife, I bet she is going to live a long long time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nitemare
    I use the universal remote control out of necessity. I bought one for convenience, then my obsessively anti-clutter, lovely wife tossed out every original remote in the house.

There are STILL functions on my DVD player I can't access.
    Maybe a sweeping of her closet (too many similar shoes?) to GoodWill is in order. Times are tough no?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In her defense, it took me almost six months to notice that the other remotes were gone. Obsessively anti-clutter means no extra shoes and a clean closet.

Back on topic... or slightly side topic... I take it the logitech is highly recommended? Any other URCs recommended?
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by singsing
    Did I mentioned the famous clapper?
    Well techinically that is not a universal remote in the traditional sense. True it controls on and off but that is hardly "universal".

Originally Posted by nitemare
    I take it the logitech is highly recommended? Any other URCs recommended?
    Yes I'd recommend a Logitech Harmony remote (do they make any other brands beside Harmony or is Logitech just Harmony in the remote world?).

It is very userfriendly and highly customizeable. I have the older 520 model that works well.

I'm sure there are other good programmable mega remotes but this one works quite well.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote