VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys - you helped me out last year when I started to learn about and play with Linux - thanks again for all the help .

I just put a large hard drive in my laptop, and created 5 partitions as follows:

1 - Windows 7 boot partition - 200MB NTFS
    2 - Windows 7 operating partition - 46GB NTFS
    3 - Windows XP partition - 46GB NTFS
    4 - File Storage partition - 30GB NTFS
    5 - Unpartitioned for Linux installation - 30GB

I am not using any boot loader systems for multi boot configuration. I can set the computer to boot directly into the OS that I want from a cold boot. I am mainly using Windows 7, so it boots directly into it - this will work until the Beta expires. If I need to switch into XP for certain tasks, I set the computer to XP and reboot - it will now go directly into XP until I change it back. I want to be able to also do this with Linux, but I do not want GRUB to interfere with, or change my setup. I want to install Linux on the last partition, and have a USB Flash Drive setup so that when I insert the Flash Drive and turn on the computer - it will boot directly into Linux - the laptop is capable of booting directly from a USB Drive. If you feel that it is better to use a CD instead of a USB, then I can burn a boot CD to do this instead.

I need to know the correct procedure on how to do this - what files I would need, and what partition format will be needed for the USB Drive ( ext3, fat, or ntfs ).

Thank you.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The installer for the distro you choose should handle this. At least, I know Slackware does.

After all is said and done, I'm given the option to chose the location of the boot loader (choose none), and the option to put the boot loader on a USB disc (choose yes).
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response disturbed1 - I checked out Slackware, the download is 3.5GB. Is it easier to use than Ubuntu and Xubuntu?
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    Quote Quote  
  4. slack isn't easy.. is KISS, but in a geek way

slackware isn't aimed for desktop user

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    buzzqw - can you expand upon what you mean by that it is not aimed for a desktop user, I want to put a user friendly version of Linux on a laptop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't know Linux, or aren't willing to spend more than 10 minutes to read a help file, move along . There ain't no pretty GUI's here. 99.99% of the system is configured by using vi/ed/joe/nano.

I was only stating that Slackware has the option at installation time. Since the easy to use Linux Distros seem spend the bulk of their dev time on the installation program, it should be there. I honestly couldn't tell you for sure though. Haven't installed anything but Slackware since Oct 2007 (Ubuntu Gusty 7.10). Can't I say I saw a USB option with Ubuntu then, but doesn't mean it isn't there .

Download the installation CD, then install it using Virtual Box. This will allow you to run the system in a Virtual Machine. Besides Ubuntu, you may want to look at Linux Mint as well. Both of these seem to be the highest ranked and most popular for those new(ish) to Linux. Defiantly user friendly, and Desktop oriented.

Slackware is 3.5gig, but comes with full sources, entire dev packages, and a fully primed and running kitchen sink out of the box. For those that need it, saves you from having to install more stuff after you just installed stuff .
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    disturbed1 - Thanks, I'll give it a try on a spare machine before I try putting it on my main laptop. I already have been playing with Ubuntu and Xubuntu, and do not remember an option to boot from a USB drive. I am still a very novice with Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you don't know Linux, or aren't willing to spend more than 10 minutes to read a help file, move along wink.gif. There ain't no pretty GUI's here. 99.99% of the system is configured by using vi/ed/joe/nano.
    that's what i mean when i say not for desktop user (or laptop)

for good hardware recognition and user friendliness try
    1) mandrivia
    2) ubuntu/simplymepis/debian lenny
    3) fedora

BHH

P.S. i use fedora (previus Debian sid)
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    We had a unix class and part of our responsibility in the class was to have a bootable USB drive with the OS (Fedora) on it for showing our work in the lab/etc.

If I remember correctly, you just have to have the USB key in the computer when you go to install it and set up the boot/etc. partitions all on the usb key. That way when the usb device is inserted it will boot from it..when it isn't it will boot off the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    We had a unix class and part of our responsibility in the class was to have a bootable USB drive with the OS (Fedora) on it for showing our work in the lab/etc.

If I remember correctly, you just have to have the USB key in the computer when you go to install it and set up the boot/etc. partitions all on the usb key. That way when the usb device is inserted it will boot from it..when it isn't it will boot off the hard drive.
    I know that this option is available, but I do not have a large capacity USB flash drive - they are getting cheaper though - 32GB for $60 from Buy.com

What I want to do is install Linux on a 30GB partition on my laptop hard drive and use a USB flash drive to boot into that partition - I do not want GRUB or any other bootloader to change or interfere with my other OSs already installed on separate partitions of the same hard drive. The laptop can boot from a USB flash drive, so all I want on the flash drive is the bootloader for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Number Six
    I know that this option is available, but I do not have a large capacity USB flash drive - they are getting cheaper though - 32GB for $60 from Buy.com

What I want to do is install Linux on a 30GB partition on my laptop hard drive and use a USB flash drive to boot into that partition - I do not want GRUB or any other bootloader to change or interfere with my other OSs already installed on separate partitions of the same hard drive. The laptop can boot from a USB flash drive, so all I want on the flash drive is the bootloader for Linux.
    You can install Fedora Linux on 1 gb flash drive: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-fedora-9-to-a-flash-drive-using-windows/
    Quote Quote