VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here is what I'm asking. Lately I've been on a bit of a downloading binge (won't get into specifics here) but I've had to leave my whole desktop on to download the stuff. Now of course I turn off my monitor when I'm not using it.

What I want to know is there any way to limit power consumption while downloading all day? I know the best thing would be to get a faster internet connection but thats not in the cards right now.

I know about putting the pc in standby and all that but you can't do anything on the machine in that mode.

What I'm looking for is a networkable device that can interface websites and download files to a harddrive so they can be transferred later. Ideally this would have a smaller energy foot print then leaving a huge hp desktop (dual core amd) on all day.

Now I did recently buy a new powersupply last fall. Its an Antec 600 watt power one (I think its 600, either that or 500). Now its supposed to be "energy saving" I think. However I'm sure this still sucks in a ton of power.

Just so you know I'm not turning into some green peacer (nothing wrong with that I just don't swing that way). But I'd like to save on energy costs but still get a lot of dowloading done.

So does such a beast exist? Are they affordable? Affordable to me in this application would be under 150.00 USD if it means I wouldn't have to leave the pc on all day.

I can't imagine nobody hasn't thought of something like this to save on power. I just have no idea what to search for in terms of what it might be called. Because it needs to be programmable. Kinda like a vcr/dvr but for internet file downloading. A seperate machine that I can program, leave on, download and then transfer to my pc for later use.

Suggestions are welcome. THanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up a Kill-A-Watt wattmeter last year. (About $20US) The average power consumption of one of my PCs is about 120 Watts. (500W PS, Two HDDs, Monitor off) That is equivalent to .12 Kilowatt hours. Times 24 hours would give you 2.88 kWH. If your electricity costs, say $.20 a KWH, then the cost would be about $0.58 a day.

If my calculations are incorrect, someone please tell me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds just about like my setup redwudz. It has two internal harddrives and I leave the monitor off. That doesn't sound bad at all (for an estimate of course).

So am I overly concerned about this then?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are small standalone units that can be left to download via bittorrent while the main PC is turned off. So long as you are happy with torrents, they are a viable solution.

It would be something like this : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/281/1026281/external-bit-torrent-hard-drive...-a-solid-punch although I believe there are now units from some of the mainstream manufacturers as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @guns1inger. Thanks for the link. That is interesting.

However it may be that I'm worrying about nothing (or little) if Redwudz's estimates are accurate.

But I'm glad there are such devices now. I'll keep that in mind. ANd the price isn't too exorbonent - though you have to add the cost of a harddrive or canabilize a preexisting drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    with all the money you're saving not buying those movies/music/applications I don't know why a few extra cents on the electric bill should matter 8)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even $0.58 per day is over $200 p.a.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    yeah but if we start talking annual bills then everything looks pretty expensive.
    basic cable = $450+
    Eating out = $1000+ (probably much more with most people)
    TP = $200+
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    yeah but if we start talking annual bills then everything looks pretty expensive.
    basic cable = $450+
    Eating out = $1000+ (probably much more with most people)
    TP = $200+
    See, there you go!
    Start wiping your ass with leftover newspapers, skip $200 TP costs, and then you'll easily afford the extra electricity.

Problem solved.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Before you leave for the day, add up all the esetimated download times.
    Then setup a scheduled task to run an hour or sa after the esimated time.

schedule task
    shutdown - h (time from estimate)
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simple perspective I use is whether my gear earns me more money than it costs, and at least its own replacement costs.

Yoda- there's an older 1 Ghz VIA Epia ITX mobo, M10000, which comes with everything except RAM & HD onboard; it draws so little juice that fans aren't really needed. Used, you can find one for $50 or so; on eBay there are even adapters for 12V (carputer) use. I've been running one for over 5 years as a daily workhorse. never failed yet. USB 2, Firewire, and auto AC failure recovery- will fit most all junked cases too. Will run most linuxi happily as well.

You can see various VIA specs here http://www.logicsupply.com/products/m10000g
    Quote Quote  
  12. Get a laptop, don't they use a smaller amount of power?

A decent power meter, one that is accurate is over $100.00... Don't expect a $20 box to be accurate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ahhaa - thats not a bad idea either. Though an extra computer is more clutter than I'm looking for.

@handyguy - I do have a laptop but its an ancient p2 that can only run win98. I'm sure it probably draws more power than my 600 watt desktop since its so much older and not very efficient.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by yoda313
    What I'm looking for is a networkable device that can interface websites and download files to a harddrive so they can be transferred later. Ideally this would have a smaller energy foot print then leaving a huge hp desktop (dual core amd) on all day.
    Netowrkable device? Interface websites? Download files?

Isn't what you're looking for what also known as a computer???

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Lately I've been on a bit of a downloading binge (won't get into specifics here)
    If I had to be specific, I'd say our little yado is growing up
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @supreme2k - well you can read it anyway you want. That's why I didn't get specific
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Start wiping your ass with leftover newspapers
    Don't laugh too hard at that. Only 2 generations before mine that's all they could afford. Literally. No jobs. And they had to pack their own shotgun shells to hunt their dinner in the outback on foot. No joke, that's serious.

I particularly love the
    interface websites and download files
    it's so cute. Interface websites. har har har. good luck, matey, let us know if you find and implement something which works in the range of scenarios.
    Quote Quote