VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking to rip all my dvds to my PC so I can stream them to my PS3. I have started by using dvd decrypter and outputting using IFO mode, so that I now have a 4-5Gb VOB file of my movie. I want the movie to be lossless, but am unsure if its possible to get the file size lower than 5gb without losing quality?

Also is it possible to rip the DVDs so that you can still go back and forward through the chapters?

And Finally, When using DVD Decrypter, what are the point of the IFO files that you can create? Can I just output the VOB file and if not what would I lose by not including the various IFO files.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would stream using PS3 Media Server. It supports VIDEO_TS folders and DVD Isos so you can just rip to iso or the entire folder then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice, I have messed about with ISO's last night, but think that VOBs might be the best solution all round to what I want to do after streaming to the PS3. So my questions are still

1. Is there a better format than VOB to store the video that uses better compression but is still lossless??

2. Do I ned to worry about keeping the IFO files from dvd decrypter, will they have any use in the future.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now you would not work for them would you ??

Seeing as you cpoied and pasted the SAME reply to 5 diff. threads already linking to the same software

Quote Quote  
  5. 1. Is there a better format than VOB to store the video that uses better compression but is still lossless??

2. Do I ned to worry about keeping the IFO files from dvd decrypter, will they have any use in the future.
    A:
    1.VOB files are MPEG-2 which is lossy,if you convert to another lossy format(MPEG-4,WMV,DivX,etc) the quality will suffer.

2.IFO files contain navigation info,some media players have problems playing VOB's if the IFO files are missing.As Baldrick mentioned it's best to rip the DVD in file or ISO mode.

This thread has some good ideas:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic364736.html
    Quote Quote