VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sup guys,

I did some searching around but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking at getting a media center PC working to hook up to my TV and I want to rip my blurays along with some of my DVD's in the highest quality codec. I'd like to eventually rip my blurays in the original 1080p format without loosing any quality. Hard drive space isn't really an issue as disks are pretty cheap. I couldn't find much info so I'm posting here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chizzle
    rip my blurays in the original 1080p format without loosing any quality. Hard drive space isn't really an issue
    Make an iso backup with AnyDVD HD and mount it with Virtual Clone Drive and play it with PDVD anytime just like the original disc having full HD video and HD audio all the time, no time and quality wasted with re-encoding
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you rip off the Blu-ray disc will be the highest quality. Reencoding will only lower the quality. Just like ripping DVDs as VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right on. So basically the only reason to re-encode the "rip" would be to save disk space?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chizzle
    Right on. So basically the only reason to re-encode the "rip" would be to save disk space?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The BD images would be 30-40GB average.

To save more space you could get rid of all the extras from the disc, all the unused audio streams, just keep one audio stream downconverted to AC3 with the unconverted video and store the m2ts movie file that will be 20-30GB average.

To make it even smaller around 8GB average you would have to re-encode the whole movie that could take 12+ hours depending on your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use AnyDVD to rip the BD to my HDD then use tsMuxeR to select just the main movie and my desired language track. It will give you a .m2ts file of about 25 - 30GB, original quality. Plays back with MPC-HC with no problems, even over my LAN.

But I usually use AnyDVD to RipBot and convert to MKV, main movie only. Most times it's to a 7.95 DL DVD disc, but you can choose a larger size if you are just using HDD storage. Takes about six hours on my 3.3Ghz quad processor system. Quality seems very close to original.

MKV is a good choice for high quality and reasonable file size. You can keep the original audio tracks.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote