VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure that this has been asked many times but I couldn't find an answer when I searched. Is there a HDMI splitter available anywhere that works well? If so where could I purchase one and at what cost. My HD TV has only one HDMI input which I have connected to my high def cable box which receives the high def channels. I would also like to connect a DVD player with an HDMI output port to the TV. I would need a splitter which plugs into the one input port on the TV. I have used splitters for the old RCA type cables in the past but don't know if something similar is available for HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you're looking for is a HDMI Switch.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen these splitters on the net: http://cables.cablesunlimited.com/cables/Hdmi%20Cable%20Splitter I've seen some models listed for about half that price, try a internet search. Not sure how they would work with your setup.

Or for a HDMI switch, I've used these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110 These should work with about any setup a some have a remote. They also have HDMI and other cables for a decent price.

I don't know if either of those retailers ship to Canada, but they may give you an idea of what's available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up one of those from eBay, a 5 port version - cheap and cheerful. It works great for switching between my DVD player, PVR, PS3 and WD TV media player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the valuable info. Monoprice does sell and ship to Canada and appears to have products that would probably work for me. I think what I need is a switch/switcher rather than a splitter. I gather that a splitter takes only 1 input source and splits it up into 2 or more outputs (tvs, monitors, etc.) while a switch/switcher is the opposite and takes multi-inputs (cable box, DVD player, etc) which can be put onto one output (TV). Will follow up with your help. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by levl
    Thanks for the valuable info. Monoprice does sell and ship to Canada and appears to have products that would probably work for me. I think what I need is a switch/switcher rather than a splitter. I gather that a splitter takes only 1 input source and splits it up into 2 or more outputs (tvs, monitors, etc.) while a switch/switcher is the opposite and takes multi-inputs (cable box, DVD player, etc) which can be put onto one output (TV). Will follow up with your help. Thanks again.
    Read all the reviews at Monoprice. Most folks will note equipment that failed to work right. HDMI switchers can be most problematic depending on the source.

That said this one worked fine going into an early Sony LCD. Inputs were a new Panasonic Blu-Ray, A Phillips 5982 and a Toshiba A3.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you MysticE. I do believe that I have read some reviews which indicate that HDMI switches can be problematic. The TV I have is a Toshiba REGZA LCD HD and the DVD player is a Philips DVP5990/37 which has the USB input on the front to accept thumb/flash drives. The switch you mention does seem to have good reviews and is very reasonable in cost. Monoprice does appear to have a much larger selection than either Future Shop or Best Buy here in Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Great thanks for this!

~ HDMI Splitter
    Last edited by hdmi splitter; 15th May 2011 at 15:27.
    Cool sig!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Kind of an old post to resurrect, but I've used the Monoprice 4 port and 5 port HDMI switches for several years and not a problem with either. I also use a powered HDMI splitter from them that splits my HDMI to my projector and my DVI monitor. No problems with any of them. I don't bother with HDMI audio. I use coaxial audio to my surround amp. Most DVI connections don't support audio, so something to keep in mind.

These splitters and switches may not work with all HDMI inputs and TVs or monitors or projectors, so be prepared for that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using an HDMI splitter to split the HDMI output from a Dish Network box. One feed goes into my living room TV and the other goes into an HDMI to Cat 5 converter and ends up at the TV in my porch. This set works great for HD video at both sets but I can’t get Dolby Digital audio to pass to the porch TV. But that’s not my question.

I wanted to show the same DVD movie on both TVs so I hooked up the splitter to the DVD player in my living room but no luck. I can get picture and sound on my living room TV but no signal at all in the porch. Why won’t my set up pass the DVD output to the porch? Does it have to do with copy protection encoding? Is it the HDMI to CAT 5 converter? I gave up and hooked the Dish box back up and everything works fine that way. Kind of puzzling, at least to me. Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Monoprice has good equipment at a good price. That's where I got mine.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote