VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not an expert in video encoding, and basically anything beyond cropping, format, bitrate etc is beyond my comprehension. I haven't really understood stuff about for example .stats files.

Can anyone give me a brief explanation of what exactly it does?

Where can I get a "standard"/"default" stats file for 2 pass xvid encoding? I know ("assume") there are different settings preferred for different things, but I don't know what matters. If it helps, it's mostly for encoding from vob (PAL) to xvid, 2-pass, some interlaced, some not.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Two pass encoding requires two passes. During the first pass the video is examined and statistics are saved in the stats file. During the second pass the video is encoded using information from the stats file. There is no such thing as a standard/default stats file. The stats file contains information about each frame of the video in question.

First set the Xvid codec to "Two-pass first pass". Then Save as AVI. A stats file will be produced and the AVI will be empty. Then select "Two-pass second pass" and Save as AVI. The AVI will have your video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, but I get the error "Statsfile not found!" when I try to start the encoding without one selected (that is, it automatically sets "\video.pass"). When I click OK, I get a new message saying "Cannot start video compression. The operation is not supported. (error code -1)"

What is wrong then?

EDIT: Never mind (I guess). I think I got it to work. Checked a guide, where they first select first pass, added it to the job queue, then selects second pass and added that to the job queue, before starting the jobs. That's the correct way I assume, because I didn't get the error now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Xavier
    I think I got it to work. Checked a guide, where they first select first pass, added it to the job queue, then selects second pass and added that to the job queue
    That's essentially the same thing I told you to do. You don't have to add to the job queue but using the queue lets you set up both passes then run them back-to-back. Where as simply saving requires that you wait until the first pass is done, then save again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Xavier
    I think I got it to work. Checked a guide, where they first select first pass, added it to the job queue, then selects second pass and added that to the job queue
    That's essentially the same thing I told you to do. You don't have to add to the job queue but using the queue lets you set up both passes then run them back-to-back. Where as simply saving requires that you wait until the first pass is done, then save again.
    Ok I understand it now, I just assumed it would automatically do both jobs, and the selection of the different passes in the settings were just to choose settings. I thought it would automatically go through both, and that the stats file were some settings needed to start encoding it (also the first pass).
    Quote Quote