VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've converted a home video over two DVD's. All I'm trying to do is create a short 10 second mpeg2 video clip at the end of disc 1 to prompt veiwer to insert the 2nd disc. Here's what I did:

1. Created a psd file (black) in Pshop with text ('Please insert Disc 2' in white text).
    2. Imported into Premiere Pro 2.0 and added a simple fade in
    3. Tried Exporting out as a DVD file and nothing happens (I don't get an mpeg clip--just folders with nothing in it)
    4. Tried Exporting it out as an avi file and then used TMPGEnc to encode to mpeg2 --> I keep getting just a plain black 10 sec video clip with NO TEXT.

I've tried this several times and can't get it right. What am I doing wrong? This seems very simple. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I made a little Insert Disc 2 for you as it was easier to do than to explain it. Unzip it and you'll see a little mini-DVD. The text fades both in and out for about 1.5 seconds each out of the overall 10 second duration:

insert.zip

Open the original DVD in PGCEdit, highlight the video in question, and go Title->Import Title's Closing Clip:

Then hit "Continue, scroll to the little DVD, and follow the instructions from there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, manono. Will try it tonight. But it p$$e$ me off that I couldn't do it. I mean...

Isn't it as simple as starting with a plain black (or whatever color you prefer) image with some text on it; convert that image to a short 5-10sec video clip (mpeg2 for DVD) and then edit it in to the end of the main dvd title (I use mpegvcr). ??

Could I trouble you to present a quick outline of what you did? Details not necessary (even though that'd be great . Thanks again.

Edit: In my original post/process, what was I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Isn't it as simple as starting with a plain black (or whatever color you prefer) image with some text on it; convert that image to a short 5-10sec video clip (mpeg2 for DVD) and then edit it in to the end of the main dvd title (I use mpegvcr). ??
    That's pretty much what I did, but I can't add it onto the end of the main video because I don't have it here. But yes, it's easy enough to do. I don't use MPEG-VCR but would add it in during authoring with Muxman.
    Could I trouble you to present a quick outline of what you did?
    Like you said, I made a 640x480 black image, added in the text, resized it to 720x480, and saved it as a BMP. Then using this AviSynth script:

ImageSource("E:\Insert.bmp",End=299)
    AssumeFPS(29.97)
    FadeIO0(45)
    ConvertToYUY2()

I encoded as a 4:3 MPV using CCE and muxed it with Muxman. I don't use Premiere (or Photoshop, for that matter), but you don't need it for something this simple either.

If you'd like it a bit different, let me know exactly what you want and I'll modify it. If you want to demux it so you can use it in MPEG-VCR, then use PGCDemux or DGIndex (File->Save Project and Demux Video).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All's good. Thanks, manono--I appreciate the help. Still pi$$ed that I couldn't accomplish this simple task w/pshop and PP. Wish someone could tell me what I did wrong..

Your avisynth script spits out an m2v file, right (no audio)? What do the End=299 and '45' represent??

Again, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your avisynth script spits out an m2v file, right (no audio)?
    It's an elementary stream 29.97fps MPV, ready for authoring. No audio. Add that in when authoring, if wanted.
    What do the End=299 and '45' represent??
    End=299 says to create a 300 frame (AviSynth numbering begins with zero) video, and since the framerate is 29.97fps, that's a hair over 10 seconds (10.01 seconds, to be exact). 45 is the number of frames to be faded in and out. 45 frames at 29.97fps equals a second and a half for each fade.

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/ImageSource
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FadeIO0
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, manono... I'm going to try to duplicate what you did. I read over the avisynth links and looks like all I'll need is the plugin for the ImageSource, correct? Or is it ImageReader? Place that plugin into the avisynth plugin folder.... then create the avisynth script and throw into CCE?? Doesn't look like i'll need anything other plugins for this simple task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This may sound too simple for what you want to do, but this is what I did.
    I used PowerPoint to create the text screen and then exported it as a bmp image file.
    I imported the bmp image file into windows movie maker.
    I added a blank (black) clip in front and in back of the image.
    I selected the desired transitions between the first blank clip and the image, then the image and the second blank clip.
    I exported as dv-avi and now I load the this clip into my editor and add it to the end of the first half on my projects.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rbatty11
    ...and looks like all I'll need is the plugin for the ImageSource, correct?
    No. ImageSource is built into AviSynth. Install AviSynth. Create a .txt file renamed with the .avs extension instead, so you might have Insert.avs. Inside, if you want to duplicate what I did or vary the parameters, copy that script above, adjusting for your BMP name and path. First test out the script in VDub(Mod) by opening it as you would any other video file. If there's something wrong with the script it'll give you an error message, while CCE won't.

After it passes that test it's ready for CCE. The "ConvertToYUY2()" line was for CCE. If you use a different encoder you might need a different line.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, got it to work and all's well. Last question, when you created the image and text, did you do anything specific to the text so as to minimize the jagged edges (forgot the term for it)?? Yours seems pretty smooth compared to mine. I used different font and size.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No, in fact mine also shows some jaggedness (aliasing?) when looked at up close. I didn't much care because it won't be noticed when played on the television, which I assume is your intended display device.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, tv is display. Really appreciate your detailed help. The best...
    Quote Quote