VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one of these units i just bought in December for a whopping $10.00. The only problem is, it didn't come with a remote. Also, i hear the TBC isn't as good as the newer models JVC put out. Anyway, i am wondering about commercial advance. Do i need the remote to set this, or is it already set? Can i set it with the menu key on the front panel?

Are there any functions on the vcr that can only be set with the remote?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TBC is fine, you heard wrong.

I think everything you'd want to do can be done on the unit itself. Some items are direct-access on the remote, while you'd have to dig through menus on the unit itself.

I have an extra 7000-series remote that I'd sell for $24 shipped. The battery cover is missing, but the batteries are so tight they never fall out.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The TBC is fine, you heard wrong.

I think everything you'd want to do can be done on the unit itself. Some items are direct-access on the remote, while you'd have to dig through menus on the unit itself.

I have an extra 7000-series remote that I'd sell for $24 shipped. The battery cover is missing, but the batteries are so tight they never fall out.
    Well gimme a few weeks and i'll send you the $24 for it! I found out that the commercial advance needs to be turned on. Factory setting is *off*. Anyway, the only thing i'm having trouble doing is VCR plus programming. I saw the manual on a website, and it says that the "prog" key on the remote needs to be pushed. I can't find it in the manual where i can do the same with the front buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. JVC did make two or three evolutions of the TBC found in its recorders. Awhile back it was thought these differences were significant, but feedback over the last few years from members using various JVCs to transfer their tapes to DVD indicate the TBC differences are minor at best and usually not even noticeable. The later JVC D-VHS units dispensed with the TBC altogether and retained only the Digital Noise Reduction feature, which as it turns out was the circuit most responsible for "fixing" ugly tapes. Don't worry about your 7600 TBC, its just fine.

The commercial advance feature is a complicated affair on JVCs, much more elaborate than on other VCRs. To access the system from the front panel, you need to press the menu button during playback and then use the channel up/down buttons or the time scan up/down buttons to select the CA PLAYBACK menu item. The commercial advance options are auto, manual and off. Auto will activate the recorders auto-detect commercial skip feature, and it will automatically attempt to skip over each commercial break without your intervention. On tapes recorded within the last five-seven years, this feature is all but useless since the ad makers got hip to it and now make commercial breaks "unskippable". The manual commercial advance puts you in control, the recorder will attempt to detect and skip commercials only when you press the skip search buttons (you keep re-pressing until you're clear of the ads). When commercial advance playback is turned off completely, the vcr will simply speed-play for 30 secs each time you press the skip search button. Note for several of the options to work at all, you also have to have set the commercial advance record options in the main menu- the feature works partly via auto-detect of commercial formats, and partly via inserting marker points while the tape is being recorded. The commercial advance feature may not work as expected when the 7600 is playing tapes made on other VCRs.

Its been long time since I've had a 7600, but I seem to remember there was a back door into the timer system via the menu, channel up/down and OK buttons on the front panel. Probably not for VCR+, because that requires input from the number keys on the remote, but you should at least be able to set manual timers from the front panel. JVC remotes are pretty abundant used: get one from LordSmurf or check eBay. The recorder is tough to use without a remote, but many JVC remotes are roughly the same: don't get hung up on matching the 7600 remote exactly. If you see one that looks like it for $10, buy it, it will more than likely handle 95-100% of the original remotes functions (certainly the VCR+ and commercial advance features).
    Quote Quote