VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off I'm new here so hello everyone ,

Anyways, I recently got a couple of blu-ray movies in .mkv format. I wanted to convert them to AVI so I could play them on my Philips DVP990 dvd player that supports AVI playback. Before I had made an account here I was searching around and found out about "MKVExtractGUI". I downloaded it and when I would start the demuxing of the video/audio it only demuxes the first 25 minutes and just stops there. I can play the mkv from stop to finish so I know it's all there, but when I look at the demuxed files the video file is only 256mb (the mkv is over 2gb so that didn't seem right) and the audio (which I opened in VLC) is only the first 25 minutes from the movie so I'm guessing that the video is the first 25 minutes as well. I tried to demux both the audio and video separately instead of at once and I got the same thing. About a week ago before I tried demuxing, I had tried to convert the movie via SUPER converter and I got the same exact thing. Since this happened with both SUPER and MKVExtractGUI is it my video file that is the issue? If so, is there any way to get around this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the MKV and how big is the 25 minutes avi ?
    If it's not running up against some kind of file size limit, (fat32?)
    then perhaps the avi is corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet
    How big is the MKV and how big is the 25 minutes avi ?
    If it's not running up against some kind of file size limit, (fat32?)
    then perhaps the avi is corrupt.
    The MKV is 2.5 GB, the output of the demux is not an avi though, it is a .h264 file that is 255mb. I have 100 GB of free hard drive space so size shouldn't be a problem. Also, I just realized that if I were to open up the MKV and just click randomly on the progress bar to random parts of the movie it would freeze up and crash if i skipped around to much (this crash happened with VLC, Media Player Classic, and Windows Media Player). Could the fact that this crash happens when randomly seeking around the movie be the problem? I don't know if the mkv is corrupt though, because when I play the mkv without skipping around it plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The .mkv might be corrupted if it crashes on seeking. What are you using to decode in mpc? haali media splitter + ffshow?

You could try xvid4psp to convert it; use the AVI Hardware profile
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    The .mkv might be corrupted if it crashes on seeking. What are you using to decode in mpc? haali media splitter + ffshow?

You could try xvid4psp to convert it; use the AVI Hardware profile
    I am using FFDSHOW for decoding with MPC, I'll give XviD4PSP a shot, the main thing is that I want the video/audio quality on the avi to be similar to that of the blu ray mkv. Can this be done with XviD4PSP? If the video specs are needed I can post them up when I get the change (I am not on my home computer at the moment)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by avkhatri

the main thing is that I want the video/audio quality on the avi to be similar to that of the blu ray mkv. Can this be done with XviD4PSP? If the video specs are needed I can post them up when I get the change (I am not on my home computer at the moment)
    If your .mkv is HD, the answer is no.

Standalone units for XviD/DivX usually only support SD resolutions (ie below 720 x576)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The resolution of the blu ray rip is 720X352 and the audio is 6 channels aac, could that be converted to avi with xvid4psp with the same quality?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Quality loss is unavoidable when you are re-encoding using lossy formats (e.g. xvid)

You can minimize that quality loss by using a higher bitrate (lower quantizer) / bigger filesize . In the settings, set the quantizer = 2 and the quality loss will be barely noticeable when playing. If you want to keep 6channel audio, you have to convert to AC3, so don't forget to change that in the settings as well
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Quality loss is unavoidable when you are re-encoding using lossy formats (e.g. xvid)

You can minimize that quality loss by using a higher bitrate (lower quantizer) / bigger filesize . In the settings, set the quantizer = 2 and the quality loss will be barely noticeable when playing. If you want to keep 6channel audio, you have to convert to AC3, so don't forget to change that in the settings as well
    I go to video-->encoding settings and then quantization but how can I change it to "2" I don't see it anywhere
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to find it in xvid4psp but it still does only the first 25 minutes, so i guess it definitely is my mkv file
    Quote Quote