VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hiya guys I'm looking to buy some media from this website and was wondering if you guys could recommend some decent mid priced products. Anybody used any of them before? Cheers guys

http://svp.co.uk/category/dvd_minus_r_non_minus_printable
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This website? where?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the best quality, worldwide. If you have to buy something else, and I do NOT recommend this, Sony is hit or miss. Some of their discs are from the very best manufacturers and some are from the worst.
    TDK used to be good everywhere, but they only sell junk media in North America now. Not sure about their European stuff.

I wouldn't touch anybody else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought Taiyo Yuden DVD's from SVP many times, and never had any problems.
    SVP guarantee their TY's are genuine, because in the past less scrupulous traders were selling Taiyo fakes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've bought Taiyo Yudens from SVP too with no problems....and I'm not in the U.K.....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you guys think the silver top TY's will be as good as the more exspensive TY's???
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by biged670
    Do you guys think the silver top TY's will be as good as the more exspensive TY's???
    Those are the ONLY ones I buy.
    TY are TY.....more expensive means printable nonsense...I don't do printable.
    I don't want pretty DVDs....I want ones that work and last a VERY VERY long
    time without developing errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54

...I don't do printable.
    I don't want pretty DVDs....I want ones that work and last a VERY VERY long
    time without developing errors.
    So you're implying that printable dvd's aren't as good as non printables?
    And you're also implying that people who print on dvd's want them to be 'pretty'?

Wow. Kind of a loaded statement - and false
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, people who wanted printable DVDs want them to be "pretty". There is zero point to printing on a disc. It gets maybe 5 seconds of viewing time, and then never gets looked at again. The ROI (return on investment) is in the red (negative). It's no surprise that many commercial DVD releases now seriously cut corners on disc art. DVD menus and DVD cases gets MINUTES of view time, compared to a handful of seconds.

I know hech. He just wanted a good disc. His "without developing" errors comment was likely directed at the non-TY media, hence a reason to use TY. But when using TY, "pretty discs" are not his priority.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Personally I use printables so that I can read what's printed on them. My handwriting is terrible and I often can't read my own writing several months after I've written it.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Yes, people who wanted printable DVDs want them to be "pretty". There is zero point to printing on a disc. It gets maybe 5 seconds of viewing time, and then never gets looked at again.
    BS. I beg to differ. As gadgetguy stated, I use printers to put important information on a disc: title, date burned, running time, average bitrate, PAL or NTSC, avisynth scripts, encoders, etc. etc...
    I, like many others, have no desire to make 'pretty' discs, only to easily and legibly document important data on each disc I burn. I think it's presumptive to say all people who print on discs are looking to make them pretty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The few of you that seem to be the exception still do not change the general rule: people use disc printers to make discs pretty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just go to walmart and buy a pack of Sharpies ... fine point ... works great.

Make a mistake writing the info on it ... go into the bathroom and spray Brut Deodorant on the writing ... rub gently to remove the ink ... put under the faucet and wash it off ... grab the bar of soap and make some good lather and remove the excess residue ... rinse it again under the faucet water ... go to towel hanging over the shower doors and wipe it dry.

I write the name of the DVD video and the Date I burnt the DVD ... I do the date because if it fails to read some day ... I want to know when did I burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like TY also. What is the difference between "valuline" and "premium"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The few of you that seem to be the exception still do not change the general rule: people use disc printers to make discs pretty.
    General rule, perhaps, but it does render the statement "all people who print on discs are looking to make them pretty", false.

However Hech54 never said that, archaeo inferred that from the statement "I don't want pretty DVDs", which doesn't necessarily mean that hech54 implied it. Furthermore, Hech54 clearly stated that TY are TY, and that he's not interested in paying more for printables. archaeo inferred a slight towards printables from the statement "I want ones that work and last a VERY VERY long time without developing errors", but that doesn't appear to be hech54's intent when you couple it with his prior "Ty are Ty" statement.

Whether or not the ROI is worth it or not is up to the individual. It's clear that Hech54 and Lordsmurf don't think so, but I and others do. Even if it's just to make them "pretty".
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of us sell our products on printable media, writing on a disc is not very professional.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo
    Some of us sell our products on printable media, writing on a disc is not very professional.
    You don't have to do either one. Leave it blank, and let the customer sort it out. I'll bet you that 9 times out of 10, they'll use a marker. Even if you asked "Would you like me to print a label on there?", most people would say "No thanks".

Why? Because people genuinely don't care about the disc artwork. They want a good case or good menu first and foremost. The only reason to label is to distribute, and for that it's a small cost to add it to the replication price. You can have discs printed and packaged in cardboard mailers for under $2 per disc, even on a small run of a thousand discs, and it looks a hell of a lot better than the best inkjet on its best day.

Due to how much the ROI sucks, you'll notice the quality of disc artwork is largely rushed. Nobody wants to pay high dollars to a graphic artist to create something nobody looks at anyway. In tougher economic times, such frills go away quickly.

Most people who print on inkjets would not know good design quality if it sat in their lap. Blank looks better than some of the crap I've seen. Even mediocre handwriting is less embarrassing.

Since the OP didn't ask a stupid quested related to printing, I'll cut him or her some slack, and assume he or she is one of the few people who can actually pull off a nice product.

Let's un-threadjack the thread now. No more printing talk?
    Quote Quote