VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi

Does anyone know of a way to convert an .MKV file to .MTS - without having to re-encode the video?

I have used this guide to convert .MKV to BluRay with tsMuxeR. It outputs the AVCHD structure just fine, but in the stream folder, the file is .m2ts instead of .mts. I need the output to be an actual .MTS file (just renaming the extension doesn't work).

The thing I want to do is play the MTS file from an SD card on the Panasonic BD 35 BluRay player.

It works fine if you save an AVCHD structure on the SD card with .MTS files.

So if there any way to convert .MKV to .MTS? It'd be ideal if tsMuxeR or a similar app could do it..
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe multiAVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good suggestion, but that program also seems to output an .m2ts file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got an e-mail from the author of the multiAVCHD software and apparently .m2ts and .mts is basically the same:

MTS and M2TS are one and the same.

MTS is the 8.3 AVCHD compatible name for M2TS.

MTS is used as file extension for AVCHD folders on SD cards or USB drives (FAT32).
    M2TS is used as file extension for AVCHD folders and BD for optical media (DVD/BluRayDisk).

If you use 'create multiAVCHD' you will have .MTS files.
    If you use 'create multiBD' - you will have .M2TS files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's correct. Both MTS and m2ts are Transport Streams with 192 bit packets.

I use multiAVCHD all the time, but not with mkv. I use it for my encoded HD content to avc, from my HV20 and DSLRs. It works great and can be used to create a disk with multiple HD resolutions and frame rates.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, multiAVCHD seems to be pretty cool. But apparently the INDEX.BDM and MOVIEOBJ.BDM files that the program outputs can't be recognized by the Panasonic BD 35 player. At least when the content is placed on a SD card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about a sticky for "how do I make this MKV play on my blu-ray player?" for all those folk that want to play their "special" content.

Here's my contribution in advance:

If you don't have the source, which you obviously don't when you're fiddling with some MKV, then there's no guarantee of AVCHD/blu-ray compliancy.

It's not so easy as to just simply re-mux it into an MTS or M2TS structure and burn. The video stream itself needs a certain amount of b-frames, reference frames, a certain resolution, fps, etc., - features which a remuxer tool will never be able to fix without a re-encode.

You are instead subject to what the MKV file contains. It may play, it may not. It may play on some players, or not at all. It may play jerky or it may play fine. Again, there is no guarantee without a fully compliant AVCHD/blu-ray (re-)encode.

Do you know what the MKV's been encoded with?

Having said that, without the source itself, or a proper re-encode, you will need to rely on hacks or other garbage "fixes" to get it to play if it doesn't. I say it's still a waste of time for this forum, and for you, without the source, disc, and/or the proper encoding profile.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NirvClub wrote:
    Yeah, multiAVCHD seems to be pretty cool. But apparently the INDEX.BDM and MOVIEOBJ.BDM files that the program outputs can't be recognized by the Panasonic BD 35 player. At least when the content is placed on a SD card.
    I also have the Panasonic BD 35 player. You're right, the SD card doesn't work. The DVD+Rs I burn work perfectly with all my originated content. I shoot, edit and encode my own, so everything is perfectly compliant. I've so far tested 1080i @ 29.97 fps, 1080p @ 23.976 fps and 720p @ 59.94 fps. Everything works perfectly, even when combined on the same disk. I even encode my own menus and use them in place of the ones that multiAVCHD creates. I won't discuss how that's done, but if you're relatively intelligent, you can figure it out.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote