VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone.

My problem is with 720p HD .mp4 files which i have converted from .mkv using GotSent. The files have been converted perfectly fine and run just fine on my PC however there is a problem playing these .mp4 files on my xbox 360. The video pauses every five seconds or so on the xbox 360 before continuing again.

I thought this may be a network problem as i have a wireless network and SD content plays OK so i decided to do a test. I placed the .mp4 file onto a USB storage device and plugged this into my xbox 360(thereby eliminating network shortcomings). However to my surprise the same problem still remains. I really don't know what to do now i have tried changing settings and stuff before i use gotsent but nothing has worked. I tried playing WMV HD 720p and 1080p files on my xbox 360 and they work just fine so i definetely know that the xbox 360 is not buggered. thanks. please reply soon.

EDIT: Here is the video details of one of the converted .mp4 videos using Mediainfo:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\KHOBAIB\Desktop\MKV2MP4\Om.Shanti.Om.(Sam ple.1)...Blu.Ray.........DDR.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 51.5 MiB
    Duration : 1mn 16s
    Overall bit rate : 5 651 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-02-06 12:00:38
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-06 12:00:39
    Writing application : mp4creator 1.6.1d

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 12 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 5 484 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 23.981 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.328
    Stream size : 50.0 MiB (97%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-06 12:00:39

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : LC
    Format settings, SBR : No
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 163 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 189 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1.48 MiB (3%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-02-06 12:00:38
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try reconvert using xvid4psp, choose the mp4 xbox 360 profile, and see if you get same problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for replying.

Is there anything unusual you cann from the file details? I would use the program you have reccommended but actually 'converting' the file will take far too long. I was hoping i could just use gotsent as it is quicker.

EDIT: Could the file name being long or odd have anything to do with it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Come on someone must surely have had this ame problrm? Please help me out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. First, I would try the files burned to a disk before ruling out media as a problem.

Main issue is most likely that the Xbox360 is not a universal MP4 player, it requires that certain parameters not be exceeded. If your file is not within those parameters it will need to be re-encoded. I've looked them up but not memorized them, pretty straightforward but a farily long list of particular standards.

There are lots of MKV files out there, some will easily convert and play, most require a re-encode for this hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks mate. i think i've got whats causing the problem.

I think its the refernece frames limit which is being exceeded. The video i've posted stats of has 12 reference frames whereas the xbox 360 only allows 3 reference frames max. Ive just tried a converted .mp4 (de la hoya pacquiao 720p) which has 3 reference frames and it works OK so far. Is here anything else you thinki need to keep note of? thanks again.

P.S. If i burn the file onto dvd(VOB) format will i still encounter the same problem with reference frames or will this be rectified?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kanwar786
    thanks mate. i think i've got whats causing the problem.

I think its the refernece frames limit which is being exceeded. The video i've posted stats of has 12 reference frames whereas the xbox 360 only allows 3 reference frames max. Ive just tried a converted .mp4 (de la hoya pacquiao 720p) which has 3 reference frames and it works OK so far. Is here anything else you thinki need to keep note of? thanks again.

P.S. If i burn the file onto dvd(VOB) format will i still encounter the same problem with reference frames or will this be rectified?
    Just reading through and saw the 12 reframes and was going to say that's the problem. The WD HDTV Media Player can't play anything above 5 reframes without artifacting really bad either, so I am having to re-encode sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Instead of Gotsend, try XenonMKV, it does the exactly same job, the difference is that XenonMKV will abort the conversion if there are too many reference frames for the 360 to handle. This will at least tell you which files you will have to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Why is the Format shown as AVC when the Codec ID is mp42? Mp42 is the fourcc for an old Microsoft Mpeg 4 part 2 codec, not Mpeg 4 part 10/h.264/AVC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can NOT use standard DVD-Video (VOB) format, that is for MPG-2 only. For h264 on the Xbox360, you just burn the MP4 file to disk as a standard data disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @nelson37 - well you have to convert it 720x480/576 mpg2 for dvd structure. That could be what the poster was referring to.

Of course if you do that you lose the high res of the original file. BUT you'd be able to play it at least......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The OP specifically refers to playing mp4 files. I do realize that may, or may not, be what they are actually attempting to do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo's post:

"Why is the Format shown as AVC when the Codec ID is mp42? Mp42 is the fourcc for an old Microsoft Mpeg 4 part 2 codec, not Mpeg 4 part 10/h.264/AVC".

Can someone elaborate on this? Why the hell does the xbox 360 have a problem with reference frames anyway alot of HD .MKV files i've got are more than 3 or 4 reference frames. this sucks.
    Quote Quote