VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    I've created an AVI file through FotoMorph program. It asked me which way I want the AVI, and when I chose the Xvid codec, the program didn't respond, so I chose the uncompressed AVI format.

I'm able to view this file in MPC and VirtualDub, but Windows Movie Maker cannot accept it (says it can't import the file).

I tried to convert it with VirtualDub to Xvid, Divx and other formats, but it won't always says it's "unable to initialize the video codec".

What should I do? What would be the most convenient format to edit in Windows Movie Maker?

By the way, I would like just to add small clips of videos to create one big video, so pretty simple editing. Is it possible to do it in VirtualDub?

Thanks!
    Tom
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could use the Cedocida DV Codec in VirtualDub to convert it to DV and WMM should accept that. It would have to be DVD framesize to convert in VD. Assuming you use PAL, that would be 720 x 576.

Do you have the Xvid codec installed? Otherwise VD wouldn't be able to convert it. Or it may not be compatible with Xvid/Divx for some reason. But WMM won't accept much except WMV or DV formats.

You can add clips in VD, but they have to be exactly the same format. Look to the bottom of the VirtualDub toolpage for guides.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed the Cedocida DV codec, but first I resized my clip to 720x576 because it was originally 320x241. I was able to convert it then to DV and again play it in any player, but this time when I load it into WMM it cannot preview the movie when I click "play" in the timeline (and also when I right-click on it and press "play clip"), and when I try to publish it to my computer (even when I specified that it will be only 1MB in size), it gives me this message:
    "The movie file cannot be published to the specified location. Verify that the publishing location is still available, that there is enough free disk space, and then try to publish the movie again"

I try to save it on my desktop and obviously I have more than one free megabyte.. (the clip is without audio and it's 5 seconds long, so 1MB should suffice)

What should I do now?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could someone please help me? I would really appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may be a little late for you, but I know what this is.

Windows Movie Maker requires a hard drive with at least 1GB free disk space for the publishing process REGARDLESS OF THE PROJECT'S SIZE. Microsoft has acknowledged that the fact that this is not an error message on its own is a problem.

So, publish your project using a drive with +1GB free space. Then you can of course play it anywhere.
    Quote Quote