VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What's going on with Google? All of a sudden all search returns have the message and link, "This site may harm your computer".

And when I click on the returned search link (not the message) to try to go to those sites I get,

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange. It seems to be working now. Really strange?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe they got hacked? Seems fixed for me too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On January 31, 2009, all of Google's results (including google.com and stopbadware.org) were briefly flagged as malware for almost 40 minutes. [1]. As a result stopbadware.org went offline.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StopBadware.org

That must have been embarassing for Google.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    On January 31, 2009, all of Google's results (including google.com and stopbadware.org) were briefly flagged as malware for almost 40 minutes. [1]. As a result stopbadware.org went offline.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StopBadware.org

That must have been embarassing for Google.
    OK, so I wasn't crazy. It's amazing too that this event, which happened about an hour ago is already captured in wikipedia.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="rkr1958"]
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    It's amazing too that this event, which happened about an hour ago is already captured in wikipedia.
    Because geeks are on the job 24/7!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also got the same warning when i tried to search 'www.notebookreview.com" I thought the site was hacked or somthing.

rkr1958 did u enjoy watching your movie
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I think some versions of FireFox may issue a warning along these lines -- based on some database of Bad Sites -- but it is a lot more selective. That is, the warnings are kind of infrequent . . . unless you happen to be a connoisseur of dodgey sites.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    I also got the same warning when i tried to search 'www.notebookreview.com" I thought the site was hacked or somthing.

rkr1958 did u enjoy watching your movie
    I haven't seen it yet. A co-worker of mine was talking about it at work. I like Steve McQueen but what really got me interested in it was that the lead in credits for it had, "And, Introducing Bob Newhart". I head the part he played was funny and that's what tweaked my interest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    I think some versions of FireFox may issue a warning along these lines -- based on some database of Bad Sites -- but it is a lot more selective. That is, the warnings are kind of infrequent . . . unless you happen to be a connoisseur of dodgey sites.
    This was a google glitch that happened with all browsers. Even using google to search for google resulted in www.google.com being flagged as a Bad Site

Firefox uses google by default, so the results that are normally displayed in Firefox comes from google.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google Searches Return Bogus Warnings

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Computer users doing Google searches during a nearly one-hour period Saturday were greeted with disturbing but erroneous messages that every site turned up in the results might be harmful.

The company blamed the mistake on human error and apologized for any inconvenience caused to users and site owners whose pages were incorrectly labeled.

The glitch occurred between 6:30 a.m. and 7:25 a.m., Google Inc. said in an explanation on its company blog. Anyone who did a Google search during that time likely saw the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanying every search result, the company said.

Google said it routinely flags any search results with that message if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously, a practice aimed at protecting its users. It gets its list of suspicious sites from StopBadware.org, a nonprofit project headed by legal scholars at Harvard and Oxford universities who research consumer complaints.

Saturday's error happened when the latest update to the list was received from StopBadware but was checked in erroneously in such a way that the warning would apply to all URLs, the company said in a statement.

The glitch was caught by on-call staff and the file was quickly fixed, Google said. Since the updates are applied in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing at 6:27 a.m. and disappeared no later than 7:25 a.m., with the duration for any particular user approximately 40 minutes, it said.

"We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in to prevent it from happening again," said Marissa Mayer, vice president of search products and user experience, in the statement.
    reference
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't want to be the identified 'human error'' person.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for free fonts last night and got the same response, I did not click on any of the sites because of the warning. It was the first time this has ever happened, it never occured to me that someone outside of Google had hacked into their site. You really have to ask yourself how anyone could get their kicks with this stunt, for that matter, how can anyone get their kicks out of writing a virus .... it's a strange world we live in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Huge mistake by Google. They should know that the user is a creature of habit. People simply went to other search engines perhaps liking them more than Google.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Same message started appearing this morning. Strikes me as silly that the "warning" claims that the number of "bad pages" found on VH after searching thru some 25,000-plus pages is zero(0) bad pages and zero(0) infections. What a crock. This is what happens when the bean counters try to manage technology.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:05.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, I saw that message too, early this morning. An hour later it was gone.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote