VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Evening All,

I have downloaded a number of files from my PVR as .ts files and have been using MPEG StreamClip to convert them to mpg prior to DVD burning. Problem is, when I play back the mpg using VLC there's no audio (the .ts file is fine). I have done this before with files from the PVR and all was fine. I am loading the ts file into MPEG StreamClip and using the 'Convert to MPEG' option.

There was no indication during the conversion that anything was wrong. Can anyone shed any light on this or suggest anything? I don't see any options in MPEG StreamClip which look pertinent..

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you see more than one audio stream listed in VLC's Audio pulldown menu? If so, try selecting another one, and see if you get playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't there a choice in MpegStreamClip to convert to Mpeg with MP2 audio and Mpeg with WAV audio? Try one of those options perhaps
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VLC Audio drop down shows two tracks - and when I select track 2, I get the sound.

So, do I need to do something different in MPEG StreamClip when converting to MPG, or can I tell AVsToDVD to use track2 rather than Track 1. Can't see any options that might be useful in this regard..

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try audio PID dropdown option before you convert to MPG

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are 2 options there, '6018 MP2 Stereo' and '6019 MP2 Mono', which ever I selected I still get an MPG with two audio tracks and I have to manually switch to track 2 in VLC to get any sound. Have also tried the 'Convert to MPEG' and 'Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio' options with both of these Audio PIDs selected, but it makes no difference.

If AVsToDVD offered me the same choice as VLC then I could choose the correct track before burning, but it doesn't seem to..

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  7. AVStoDVD cannot choose the track. It grabs first one only.

You can try with VirtualDubMod:
    - load your mpg
    - go to 'Streams'/'Stream List'
    - disable the audio track you do not want and press OK
    - select 'Video'/'Direct Stream Copy'
    - save your mpg

Then you can continue with AVStoDVD

Bye

P.S. This VirtualDubMod workflow works for AVIs. I am not sure you can do the same with mpg. If not you can try to re-encode the file as AVI uncompressed (very large) and then feed it into AVStoDVD.
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_
    AVStoDVD cannot choose the track. It grabs first one only.

You can try with VirtualDubMod:
    - load your mpg
    - go to 'Streams'/'Stream List'
    - disable the audio track you do not want and press OK
    - select 'Video'/'Direct Stream Copy'
    - save your mpg

Then you can continue with AVStoDVD

Bye

P.S. This VirtualDubMod workflow works for AVIs. I am not sure you can do the same with mpg. If not you can try to re-encode the file as AVI uncompressed (very large) and then feed it into AVStoDVD.
    Thanks, I have downloaded VirtualDubMod and am trying it now. When I loaded the MPG into it, it prompted me to choose an audio stream, which I did. However, I can't save it as an MPG, and if I set it to Direct Stream Copy and try to save as an AVI, it says the original video compression is incompatible with AVI, so I have to use Normal recompression and save as an AVI. Its doing that as we speak, but my first impression is that it is *very* slow - going to take a long time to do all my video files at this rate (I have lots of 5 minute ones I want to put on DVD).

Is there a better way to do this? Are there packages out there that would do this all in one, rather than having to using a multitude of different utilities? I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount if I got something that did the job and did it well..

I'm also surprised that the .ts file that came off the PVR seems to be somehow different to other files I have downloaded from it - is this difference down to the way in which the programs have been originally broadcast?

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is also TsRemux which can trim & extract streams from a ts file. Give it a try.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_
    There is also TsRemux which can trim & extract streams from a ts file. Give it a try.

Bye
    Thanks again I have downloaded that and tried it, it offers me a list of streams to keep, so I choose the video stream and what I think is the correct audio stream and ask it to Remux. I save it as a .ts file (choose TS (188 byte packets)) from the output type, but when I try to view that with VLC, I get a black screen with no sound. Am I right in thinking that TsRemux won't create an MPG for me?

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You could try avidemux. Similar to vdub/vdubmod but accepts and outputs many more file formats (incl. MPEG2)

What kind of PVR? What kind of .ts? (what kind of video & audio ? use mediainfo)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    You could try avidemux. Similar to vdub/vdubmod but accepts and outputs many more file formats (incl. MPEG2)

What kind of PVR? What kind of .ts? (what kind of video & audio ? use mediainfo)
    The PVR is a Humax 9200, .ts file info according to MediaInfo:

General
    ID : 3002
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\Peppa Pig\20081010 0813 Peppa Pig.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 61.9 MiB
    Duration : 9mn 52s
    Overall bit rate : 875 Kbps

Video
    ID : 6017 (0x1781)
    Menu ID : 12866 (0x3242)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Duration : 9mn 52s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 583 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.056

Audio #1
    ID : 6018 (0x1782)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : -438ms
    Language : English

Audio #2
    ID : 6019 (0x1783)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : -284ms
    Language : English
    Language, more info : Visual impaired commentary
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's what I suggest: Take the output from Streamclip, and demux that. The result will likely be a video stream and two audio streams, one of which will be tiny. Remux just the video and audio that you want to preserve; that will eliminate the vestigial null audio track. Then take that remuxed result and do what you will with it.

You may have to rename Streamclip's output .mpg instead of .mpeg first. I love Streamclip, except for that noogie. I wish they would just produce an "ordinary" mpg. But renaming, demuxing and remuxing usually makes things work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You already have MPEG2 video and .mp2 audio. It looks pretty low bitrate; instead of re-encoding and losing more quality, try extracting the raw .m2v and .mp2 with tsmuxer, then use a dvd authoring tool (e.g. dvdauthorgui, guifordvdauthor). You can choose to include either or both audio tracks

Should you need to re-encode, Avidemux should be able to accept the .ts natively as well, you can also specify which audio track
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Here's what I suggest: Take the output from Streamclip, and demux that. The result will likely be a video stream and two audio streams, one of which will be tiny. Remux just the video and audio that you want to preserve; that will eliminate the vestigial null audio track. Then take that remuxed result and do what you will with it.

You may have to rename Streamclip's output .mpg instead of .mpeg first. I love Streamclip, except for that noogie. I wish they would just produce an "ordinary" mpg. But renaming, demuxing and remuxing usually makes things work.
    Sounds good, but what do I use to demux/remux?

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Streamclip can demux (but I don't use that feature), as can TMPGEnc. The latter can also mux. I believe only the payware version of TMPGEnc will operate on MPEG2 streams, however.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Success!! I was messing around and found an option in MPEG Stream Clip to 'Delete Audio Track', so I selected the mono audio track in the Audio PID drop down, deleted it and then converted to MPEG. Burnt quit ehappily to DVD.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Al.
    Quote Quote