Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me with a question. It seems the more I read the forums the more confused I get. Here is my situation.
I have a Sony Handicam DCR-HC30. I have the firewire cable and can capture the video from the cam to my pc with DVIO. Here is the problem.

I would like to edit the movies and archive them on my compute for burning later. I usually use convertXtoDVD to burn the DVD. Once captured I have used Virtual dub to break the video up into smaller scenes and remove part of the movie. I am unsure of what settings in VDub i should use, what compression for video and audio, full processing mode?? etc, codec, etc.

Basically I want to save the scenes into an appropriate size avi with compression but not too much quality loss? Is there a guide to help with with that. The videos will be watched by burning them to DVD or watching them on a TV hooked up to a computer, should I de-interlace?

To sum up here are my questions, if someone can please help me.

1. What is an appropriate files size per minute of video i.e. 1 min = 20(ish Mb) etc.
2. In VDub should I use Full, Direct, Fast or normal processing for the video?
3. What about the aduio
4. What codec is best for this type of application (archiving, burning, watching on a TV) Xvid, Divx, other?
5. Do I need to de-interlace or resize if the videos will be watched on a TV?
6. DVIO does not give the option for Type1 or 2, should I use WinDv instead, if so, what type?

If someone can take a couple of seconds to answers these questions it would be most helpful, I have resorted to using VDub to create sample files and watching them on the TV trying to figure out which ones look best, pointing me in the right direction would really help me out.

P.S. If anyone has know of a guide I can step through please let me know. I have been trying this one out
https://forum.videohelp.com/topic244151.html

Thank you very much
Q