VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a newbie at this. Yesterday my friend told me his DVP5960 played avi files thru the USB interface. Is this the most affordable player to have this capability? The 5960 seems hard to come by and I found the DVP5990 more easily available. My questions are:

1. What are the difference between the 5960 and the 5990? Is one better than the other or have advantages over the other? When comparing them on the Philips website, they seem identical.

2. Can the DVP5990 also play avi files?

3. Is the 5990 simply a new the newer version of the 5960?

Any further input on playing avi files to the TV, thru a flash drive would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 5960: USB 1.1 (too slow typical for VOB), max output 1080i, silver.
    5990: USB 2.0 (plays VOB), max output 1080p, black.

Note that AVI is a container. It can contain audio and video compressed with any codecs. These are Divx certified players that play Divx/Xvid and MP3/AC3 in AVI. Yes you can play off USB flash drives. The won't play some very high (for Divx) bitrate MPEG4 files.

If you have an HDTV consider the Western Digital TV HD Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A:
    1.The 5990 is 1080p and USB 2.0
    2.Yes if they are SD DivX
    3.Yes

I have a 5982 and it's USB 1.1 with 1080p,the higher the model number the better it is.What's nice about the Philips players is you can connect an external HDD(FAT 32) to play your DivX and MP3 files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can add that the 5990 also plays .wmv, and I believe, but haven't tested, that will also play ogg video stuff.
    FWIW, current retail in NZ has it at $NZ150. On special deals this can drop to around $NZ80.

Get one, then get the VB6ROCOD modded firmware and turn a good device into an excellent one!
    Cheers!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Oosername
    get the VB6ROCOD modded firmware and turn a good device into an excellent one!
    Except it doesn't play some files that play perfectly fine with the standard firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for the great responses. Helps a lot and gives me a better understanding. I want to clarify one more thing. I plan on using this player to play movie files that I download from torrents that I will then load on a thumb drive. I believe most of the popular avi movie files from torrents would work on this player, right?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Most Divx/Xvid AVI will work as long as the resolution is 720x576 or less. Nothing over that resolution will play.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    5960: USB 1.1 (too slow typical for VOB), max output 1080i, silver.
    5990: USB 2.0 (plays VOB), max output 1080p, black.

Note that AVI is a container. It can contain audio and video compressed with any codecs. These are Divx certified players that play Divx/Xvid and MP3/AC3 in AVI. Yes you can play off USB flash drives. The won't play some very high (for Divx) bitrate MPEG4 files.

If you have an HDTV consider the Western Digital TV HD Media Player.
    How does the WD HD TV Media Player compare to the DVP5990 as far as playing files off thumb drives? Can they both play the same formats? Can one play more formats than the other? If not, it would seem the 5990 offers the same benefits as the WD HDTV Player w/an extra of also playing DVDs and being half the price.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, the WD player supports a much wider array of containers and codecs. It also supports high definition playback (the 5990 does not) of Divx, Xvid, MPEG2, and h.264.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html

No DVD player though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. AFAIK the wd also plays back FLAC format music (ignore this if you dont know about FLAC music).
    The WD can read its files from a USB attached hard drive(or thumb drive), which can be in NTFS format, meaning you can have looooonnnnngggg file names AND files over 2gb/4gb, (it will play ISO images, ignore this if you dont know about ISO images).
    Long file names can be a real boon especially if you are collecting Tv episodes.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Oosername
    Except it doesn't play some files that play perfectly fine with the standard firmware.
    Do you mind me asking which files you mean? I just bought a dvp5990 and installed the new firmware pretty much right away. So far I haven't had any problems playing anything from disc or usb. Just curious.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Wanderlustus
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Oosername
    Do you mind me asking which files you mean? I just bought a dvp5990 and installed the new firmware pretty much right away. So far I haven't had any problems playing anything from disc or usb. Just curious.
    Some random Divx/MP3 AVI files I had. Wouldn't play from USB flash and DVD. Reverted to original firmware and they played just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK Jag', thanks for the reply. Did you ever post some info' on the files in question to see if there was a major difference in them that might have caused this?
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  16. No, I didn't post the properties of those files. I don't remember which files it was now. I just installed the latest mod (32). If I run across something that doesn't play (and does when reverting the the original firmware) I'll post about it in the 5990/37 mod thread.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok, Jag. Just curious and I'll do the same if I come across something. Now that I think of it, I've a few "problem" files that wouldn't play on my LD LGA-730 when it was still working. I should give them a shot and post my results. Thanks for getting back to me.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote