VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I backed up a lot of DVDs to my HD using DVD Shrink, then I used VOBmerge to make it one big VOB file.
    ...So my question is what program can i use to compress the large .VOB file into something smaller? I DO NOT want to lose much quality, and I want to keep the 5.1 Surround sound as well. (Freeware and Easiest way to do this would be great) Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only viable solution is H264 for video if you want to keep the best possible quality at a smaller size. You then need to find a container that supports the original AC3 audio, or convert it as well.

MP4 does support AC3 audio now, but a lot of converters haven't caught up.

If it were me, I would use Xvid4PSP, and convert the video to high quality H264, and copy the AC3, and put it all into an m2ts file. It can be repacked to MP4 down the track. You should be able to get near original quality in around 2GBs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well lets say forget about the 5.1 surround, what is the best freeware program to compress .VOB and keep the best quality??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is not like a data file. The more you compress, the more quality you lose. Dropping the 5.1 surround should have been done with DVDShrink before merging the vobs. Guns1inger's suggestion of H264 is best for maintaining the same visual quality for less file space. It is a different codec though. Dixv / xvid are other options. No matter what, a reencode is in order.

Xvid4PSP was suggested. Try it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i downloaded Xvid4psp, what format should I convert my .VOB to for the best quality?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would choose mkv under profile and x264 under video and copy under audio. Convert. You can also adjust the output file size if you click on the E under video, change to 2-pass size under Encoding mode and you can set the size(bigger size=better quality)...but if you don't need a specific size use the constant quality/quantizer encoding mode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually the responders are making a lot of assumptions about what you did originally. Those assumptions may or may not be valid.

1) They are assuming that you using DVD Shrink simply to rip when in fact you may have used it to rip and/or compress the video. If you used it to compress the video, you've already lowered the quality even if you didn't know that.
    2) They are assuming that you kept only AC3, which is DVD Shrink's default. However, you could have chosen to keep DTS instead or AC3 and DTS.
    We simply don't know what you did. Not enough info.

If you have AC3 audio, there's no need to compress it further. You can do so, but not easily and it won't gain you much. If you have DTS audio to work with, that's a different story.

Based on everyone's guesses, Baldrick's suggestion is most likely the way to go, but we're all making assumptions about what you did to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully this will clear things up...I took DVDs, used DVD shrink to back up the files, only chose the English audio and no Subtitles were chosen. This resulted in many .VOB files, then i merged them which created files from 3-5 GBs. Now i want to take the single .VOB files and compress them to a smaller size while keeping similar quality. What is the best options using Xvid4PSP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any help would be sweet?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you have any limitations? I.e. will this be played back on PC only? or ps3/xbox360

You can use format=>mp4 ps3 or xbox360

video encoding=> Q18 Extreme (lower quant give higher quality, but bigger filesize)

You can also access more settings by pushing the "e" button, but these are fairly decent settings to start with

If you want a specific file size, you have to do 2 pass mode, instead of constant quality
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The movies will be played through my computer...I am using VLC Media player, I would like the files to be no bigger than 1 GB, I have been using the .MKV format to encode.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok just do the same thing, but push the "E" button beside video encoding, and under encoding mode drop down menu, select 2-pass size then enter the size (e.g. 1000MB)

Format you can select ".mkv", audio "copy" assuming you want to keep the AC3

Cheers

Quote Quote