VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any suggestion for a one-click solution in order to convert from this kind to another without having to stand for 45 minutes in front of the computer and manually recognize characters, cause that's what happens when using SubRip or AVIdemux.

Thing is, my standalone player supports only text format subtitles and it is painfully inconvenient to take all of this to convert to .srt especially in my case where I see files one time (except rare occasions).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try downloading from a subs database (e.g. opensubtitles.org, few others...)? Why waste hours doing it yourself when someone else has already done it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well it depends some of them exist and some dont. Also when it concerns a movie there's really high chance of getting a fansub which may contain lots of errors and inconsistencies, while VobSub is the exact ripping of the subtitles included on the DVD.

I still dont get why the programms that exist cant OCR the text on their own. Much like software recognition programms do with scanned documents, or ADOBE does with PDF in order to copy text. They both seem to be doing a great job, what's so different with Subtitle OCR that needs human intervention?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Get this and place it in your SubRip Character Matrix file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mndwnjymyyt/ai4spam.rar

It contains the fonts for many, many DVDs. If it contains ones for your DVDs, you'll have to do no (or very little) typing when using SubRip to OCR from VobSub to SRT.

Whenever you OCR a DVD save the character matrix. That way, the next time you OCR a DVD which uses that same character matrix you'll do no (or very little) typing. It doesn't take 45 minutes anyway.

Using DVDSubEdit you can open Vobs or IFOs and do an automatic OCR. The results are often pretty funky, though.

Edited later to provide a working link to the character matrix file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi to all
    I want to save srt file with DVDSubEdit in the other language for example farsi(persian) but I cant do that.
    PL.
    THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back to the original question. I have a number of .sub files than wouldn't open in any other program but SubResync that goes with the VobSub itself. But trying to convert it to .srt it seems that the program OCR's it not letter by letter (which I'm OK with), but word by word! which basically means you have to sit and retype the whole thing.

Is there a quick way to convert those?
    I tried:
    - sub2smi
    - conv479
    - SubMagic
    - SubAdjust

all of them either give a message like 'file doesn't exist' or process the conversion with a zero size resulting file.

If I had the original DVD's I wouldn't go with the idx/sub format at all, but that's what I have together with .mp4 or .mkv video files.
    and no, subtitle sites do not have those.

Any suggestions?

========
    edit: I did read this thread here on the same subject.
    well Subrip wouldn't open the subs since there's no VOBs, and I just tried AviDemux and it's been trying to open the .sub file for the last 8-10 minutes by now which just does not seem right, huh?
    Quote Quote  
  7. well Subrip wouldn't open the subs since there's no VOBs...
    It doesn't need VOBs. Go File->Open VOBs->Open Dir and point it to the SUB file. It still may not work, though. It sounds as if there may be something funky about this file.

You can also try the automatic OCR available in DVDSubEdit, but if it works be prepared to do some serious editing afterwards. You'll have to convert the VobSubs to SUP files first. That's instantly done using SubtitleCreator.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you so much, manono. as it turns out, I just didn't know how to use subrip
    well live and learn. thanks again.

ahem... and what about that character matrix file you uploaded several posts above?.. link seems to be dead and im trying to cut some typing here
    Quote Quote  
  9. You're right - that link's gone dead. Here's another link to the same file - the one created by the SubRip developer:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mndwnjymyyt/ai4spam.rar

And here's a link to a much larger character matrix file created by a frequent SubRip user:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lytgybemz1z

And I'll edit the post above to provide the new link. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can someone tell me how to combine all my saved .sum files from subrip into one file?
    i have many, and would like to combine them (an probably combine with the ones posted above)
    Quote Quote  
  11. In don't know if there is a way. But I don't see any reason to combine them. I have dozens in my folder, as well as a couple of really big ones. The more different matrices there are in a SUM file, the longer the OCR takes. Of course, it's still way faster than doing all the typing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you use subscene.com you can download SRT subs in a lot of languages......free.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, I'm a little late to the game, but here's a solution. Though not exactly one click, compared to the above mentioned methods and fails, explained below is a pretty expedient way to import, fix, convert and edit Vobsub (often subtitles from the producer).This is NOT a DVD ripper, it is a subtitle editor that can import subtitles from a video file/container (MKV friendly) that exists on your hard drive. The OP clearly asks for conversion advice, not ripping or downloading. So here we go.

Open the complete video in Subtitle Edit. It should prompt you to select a language if necessary. Otherwise continue with loading the video until complete. An Import/OCR window should pop up. Click> Start OCR and let it fly. There are options here that can be changed before starting OCR. Click OK when the import is complete (takes a little while to crunch). Also, before saving, select the Format tab up top and scroll up and select SubRip(srt). After the import process, this great tool is an advanced text editor/encoder. Hope this helps many. I hurt my brain trying to do this with vobsub, Subrip, avidemux, MKVtoolnix etc. This worked.

Additionally, this all depends on players and codecs, but I'm assuming the issue is to address just that. Rip on!
    Last edited by milo77; 26th Dec 2014 at 21:59. Reason: Clarity, I hope. :)
    Quote Quote