VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone recommend a free downloadable software thats easy to use, that does the same thing as DVD shrink?
    The reason I ask is because I've been using DVD shrink, but the movies burn onto disc a data, and I'd like to try a different programme.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ReJig. Then burn with ImgBurn.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should give you everything you need to make a regular dvd. Do you have the "make video_ts folder" option selected? Also you could select an iso image as your output file. That would contain your entire dvd structure. Then you can burn that with any disc burning utility that supports the iso format (which is all of them as far as I know).

Check these screens out for dvd shrink 3.1 (I believe that was the final version released):

That will either give you a video_ts folder that when burned as a root directory on the dvd will behave exactly as the original or you can choose iso. Iso will pack the video_ts folder into a .iso file that can be burned with a cd burning program that supports iso and make it like a real dvd.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by millyvanilly
    using DVD shrink, but the movies burn onto disc a data
    Then you are doing something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    It should give you everything you need to make a regular dvd. Do you have the "make video_ts folder" option selected? Also you could select an iso image as your output file. That would contain your entire dvd structure. Then you can burn that with any disc burning utility that supports the iso format (which is all of them as far as I know).

Check these screens out for dvd shrink 3.1 (I believe that was the final version released):

That will either give you a video_ts folder that when burned as a root directory on the dvd will behave exactly as the original or you can choose iso. Iso will pack the video_ts folder into a .iso file that can be burned with a cd burning program that supports iso and make it like a real dvd.

Yeah. Everything here that you have shown is the exact way I've done it. Except I'm not too sure how to select the iso option. I've got the movie in a folder, and it has all the releative files in there when I open it.
    I've tried to use the burn movies option in my burning studio. It say as long the folder has VOB, IFO, and BUP files then it can be done. I've checked this and all folders are fine, and do contain the required files. I then add the folder to be burned onto a dvd, and click the NEXT tab to proceed, Then I just get a message box on the screen informing me that "folder doesn't contain valid DVD files".
    I'm no expert when it comes to this, but in theory this should work????? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what is going wrong?
    I can burn the dvd from the files section in my burning studio (it writes as data though) and it works perfectly on all my dvd players, but won't play on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install Windows Media Player Classic (or the Home Cinema version) which is free - unless you have a valid DVD player and DVD-ROM (or -R -RW etc) drive, you will not be able to play the disc. I assume that since you're burning with the machine, the drive is correct.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313

The final version was 3.2.15. (There was also a modded version that could optionally call ImgBurn for the burning, I believe, but that version requires at least Win XP, due to a DLL issue.) Some strongly recommend the use of ImgBurn for burning, anyway -- over Shrink's own burning engine -- and it would be a must with D/L media for other reasons.

If Shrink is properly set up, and there is no hardware or media problem going on, it pretty much has to work. I don't recall ever burning in data-file format with it. Not even sure how I could do that deliberately.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shrink does not, and never did have it's own burning engine. It has the ability to create an ISO file or HDD folders, or to use the burning engines from DVD Decrypter, Nero (certain versions) or CopytoDVD. The modded version also supported Imgburn. If you didn't have any of these installed, DVD Shrink would not burn.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote