VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone tell me how I can place a video clip on my DVD disk to play before the chapter main menu shows up? I have all the chapters ready but there is a intro that I would like to ad to play before the option of the chapters is displayed. Alot like when you watch a movie and the 21st Century Fox logo apears and then the main menu is displayed.

I'm using Nero Vision 4.

Cheers
    cp_ozie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Nerovision can do it, you will be looking for something most likely called Firstplay. However, as Nerovision is more of a toy than an authoring tool, you may not be able to do it unless you either find a real authoring application, or you create you disc in NV4, then use PGCEdit to add the firstplay item in after the fact.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yep, make your DVD saving room for later adding in the First-Play clip, and then make a little mini-DVD of your clip. Open the main DVD in PGCEdit, go Title->Import First-Play (Startup) Clip, and follow the easy instructions from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that guys,

I downloaded that PGC edit program but I can't figure out how to use it, Is there any other editing software that can do this function?? I'll keep trying to work out PGCedit until it starts doing my head in.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono
    Open the main DVD in PGCEdit, go Title->Import First-Play (Startup) Clip, and follow the easy instructions from there.
    Fairly self-explanatory, don't you think? If you have a specific question about some step you don't understand, then ask it. PGCEdit can be pretty intimidating and to learn it thoroughly takes time and effort, but what you want to do with it is pretty simple.

Most authoring programs have the ability to add a start-up clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by manono
    Open the main DVD in PGCEdit, go Title->Import First-Play (Startup) Clip, and follow the easy instructions from there.
    Fairly self-explanatory, don't you think? If you have a specific question about some step you don't understand, then ask it. PGCEdit can be pretty intimidating and to learn it thoroughly takes time and effort, but what you want to do with it is pretty simple.

Most authoring programs have the ability to add a start-up clip.
    I installed Ulead Video Studio 11 and it has the lot. Thanks for you efforts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got this to work.
    Was testing the result by opening the .iso from Pgcedit with VLC.
    It went straight to the menu each time.
    When I burned the iso to disk and played it back on the standalone - it played the clip then went to the menu.
    I note that there is a sizable delay between the end of the clip and the appearance of the menu.
    Is this inherent in DVD playback?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Check the post command for the start-up clip. The ones I've done go straight and quickly to the menu after playing the intro clip. If yours does the same, then the delay you're experiencing has something to do with your player, I would guess. If there's some other stuff you removed that once played before the menu (things like studio logos, trailers and the like), then the delay can't be helped, unless you learn how to jump over them and go straight to the menu. That kind of thing can also be done using PGCEdit, but may take some practice to learn. The first thing worth learning would be how to work the Trace so you can follow the commands as they work their way through the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for responding.
    The main movie is a simple clip, with a menu created by DVD Flick.
    I tested it with different standalone players with the same result - a ten second delay from the end of the first play clip until the menu appears.
    I shall study the trace command - I have attached an image from Pgcedit.

[/img]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears there is a ten second pause being inserted after the 'first play' clip.
    I edited the pause to 0 and it immediately jumps to the menu.

Thank you for steering me to solution!

Quote Quote  
  11. Hehe, I'll happily take the credit for pointing you in the right direction but, honestly, the thought never occurred to me that was the reason. Good going for figuring it out. I think I've discovered where the process went wrong and the reason I've never run across your problem:

When adding in animated (motion) First-Play clips, tick the "Don't pause: it's an animated clip" line instead, before hitting "Continue". That 10 second (or however long you set it) pause is for still screens.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I was wondering why you didn't have to edit it every time.
    Quote Quote