VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 questions:
    What is a free program to encode VBR MP3 files? Can these encoded VBR MP3 files THEN play on my CD player in my car?

Or do I need to convert the MP3 files to WAV files in order to play them in my car CD player which does not always play MP3 files well.

James
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on your specific model.

Perhaps there are compatibility issues with the media (some cheap media might not play well), or the burning?

Perhaps your player only like CBR MP3? Perhaps it only allows a certain bitrate range?

You can try LameXp which is easy to use, and free

Figure out what mp3's play well, and use the same settings. You can use mediainfo for more information

You probably don't want to use WAV, because the filesize is huge compared to MP3. You can make a CD audio disc, but again you might only fit a dozen songs, compared to hundreds in MP3 format. The benefit is higher likelihood of compatibility
    Quote Quote  
  3. CDex can batch encode but I recommend using CBR for compatibility.
    Another issue:MP3's with DRM(bought from iTunes) will not play on car stereos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed with the CBR advice. Try a bitrate of 192K and CBR. That combo should work in many car stereos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    iTunes doesn't sell MP3 files at all, they're AAC. (Which of course won't play on car stereos.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Store#File_format

I don't think it's possible to have DRM in an MP3.

Originally Posted by jbitakis
    What is a free program to encode VBR MP3 files?
    CDEx with the Lame encoder is one of the easier and best ways to encode MP3.

Originally Posted by jbitakis
    Or do I need to convert the MP3 files to WAV files in order to play them in my car CD player which does not always play MP3 files well.
    I'd make a CD with several tracks recorded at different bitrates (between 128 and 256 k, say), both CBR and VBR, and see how the player performed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    iTunes doesn't sell MP3 files at all, they're AAC. (Which of course won't play on car stereos.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Store#File_format

I don't think it's possible to have DRM in an MP3.
    You are correct,MP3 doesn't have DRM.Some car stereos support WMA and AAC but won't play them if they have DRM.
    Quote Quote