VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I am going to need to run a live feed (via cables) from a camcorder into a dvd recorder to record a dvd in REAL TIME (long story as to why). I have just learned that not all camcorders can do this, any recommendations as to a "high quality" consumer camcorder that will work? I'm most interested in picture quality(i know it degrades recording it this way) THX!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sorry to prompt the long story, dvd recorders reguarly stop recording/crap out for various reasons.

Murphys law dictates this will happen during your recording.

Record it on Camcorder first the transfer to dvd.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I am TRYING to figure out the best way to record a kids football game and then sell the dvd's at the field. The key to this little endeavor is I want the dvd's ON THE TABLE within 15 minutes! (its key since I have a booth that ALL the parents wil be walking by on thier way out). I have a duplicator, generator etc. I just need to make a dvd in REAL TIME (need the master dvd for the duplicator asap!) I have tried the little dvd camcorders and dont like the picture or the fact that they only record for 30 min! (cant flip disc and d/l'd takes too long to read and burn. thx! any advice!?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think you can record on the camcorder and the dvd recorder at the same time, unless other gurus here know why not.

Will you have the dvd recorder output to a small tv/monitor?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure how recording to a dvd recorder works. Do I need a small tv?
    Quote Quote  
  6. well my point was that unless you monitor what the dvd recorder is recording you cannot be sure it is recording that input, works similiar to a vcr.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    running it through a monitor wont be a problem...I will only have to "pause" the recording about 5-6 times during the game...its just a record of the day, not really a "game film" ment for study later. Hope it works! So..any idea of which cameras do this?
    Quote Quote  
  8. as far as I know, all should, but I've only used Hi-8 camcorders, if you are buying one, ask the store.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well thats what i did and the guy scared me because he said only a few do! Anyone know bout this? Thx for your help Vic!
    Quote Quote  
  10. well my logic is like a vcr , whatever it is recording, can be output at the same time
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a DVD Recorder with DV input then you can use most DV cameras to pass a live signal though. If you only have analogue inputs then the range of cameras drops somewhat. It is easy enough to test though - just plug the outputs into a TV and if you can see the image, you can record it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Unless your camcorder doesn't have analog output (in addition to any digital output), just about every DVD recorder will work. Despite what some may argue, the difference between recording analog-to-analog using a consumer camcorder and digital-to-digital (i.e., FireWire-to-FireWire for those recorders that have it) is bugger all especially using S-video.

If you are worried about the recorder messing up during the event, you can certainly record to tape simultaneously.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Johnny what does "bugger all" mean? did you mean that the dvd recorder will mess up alot using s video?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sorry - letting my origins show through. "Bugger all" means "nothing". There's little difference in quality between using analog/analog and digital/digital when using a consumer DVD recorder with a consumer camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JohnnyMalaria knows best. No need for anxieties. Just be very familiar with camcorder outputs and DVD recorder inputs. Always monitor what the DVD recorder sees. Analog S-Video straight out of the camcorder should suffice.

I suggest you do a few trial runs before the first big game. That way, you can anticipate and find workarounds for Murphy's Law. Also -- you must never work so hastily that you forget the Finalize Disc stage before you eject your master to burn copies.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great! Thank you guys! Do I need to find a camcorder with "live feed" (thats what the dealer guy said)? And 1 final question...think quality will be better using decent consumer camcorder+dvd recorder as apposed to using one of those 8cm dvd cameras on long record setting?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I just use a High8 & run it to the dvd recorder, just press record. But you also have to finalize your disk, add titles, etc. 15 minutes is a bit too soon.

But then you can only use it when you are near a power outlet too. You just have one camera angle from one position.

Are you sure you want to do this? Is this your idea to make some $$?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have yet to own a camcorder that doesn't have a live output (Video8, Hi8, DV and HDV). Often you need a funky cable because there isn't enough space on the camcorder to have the standard RCA/S-video connectors. Such a cable will come with the camcorder unless you are buying a used one. They typically look a bit like a mini headphone jack at one end and the necessary RCA/S-video jacks at the other.

I'm not sure about using a DVD camcorder - I have no experience with their reliability. The nice thing about using a standalone DVD recorder is redundancy. Whether you use a DVD camcorder or a tape-base done, by recording to the recorder and the camcorder, you significantly reduce the risk of something screwing up.

DVD recorders are quite inexpensive and I suspect the deciding factor re camcorder would be what you want to do down the road with it. Also, an standalone unit could be used for other purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've seen in parks like six flags or places like that they use DVD Ram. Burning a DVD takes almost same amount of time no matter what the source is. I don't know if you add menus or how much it will take you but when it is ready it could be burned by multiple burners at the same time most likely cheaper than a duplicator.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome info thank you guys. Wont need titles or different camera angles..this is more of a service so that parents can enjoy thier kid without having to film themselves...a keepsake so to speak. SPEED is key for me so having a "master" dvd of "good" quality is my ultimate quest. I believe I can get one done in less than ten minutes! (unless the dvd recorder takes FOREVER to finalize a 40 minute film...ugh
    Quote Quote  
  21. This little gadget seems to do what you are looking for... and with a battery pack it could be portable:
    Sony DVDirect® MC5 Multi-Function DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some DVD recorders don't accept a live recording input over the IEEE-1394 input because they force use of device control (Cue Tape, etc.). If this is happening try the S-Video input.

A hard disk DVD recorder would allow more than one copy.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Werder, that is a nice find. If ir d/l's 60 min video in about ten minutes I MIGHT be able to record my 40 min video into the camera and then just make a master disc at the end. I will have to test this little guy out and see how it works with live feed and d/l'ing at 6x. thx!! I love this forum..haha
    Quote Quote  
  24. Why not just post it on the net for people to d/l?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handyguy, that would be sweet. Hopefully, when i get a nice little library of game films together, I can have a place where parents can go and d/l old games that thier kids might have played in. As for this year though..I am trying to sell these AT the field, the SAME day as the event! Wont be a professional game film, but most parents just want a cheap keepsake of the day.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, just a little reminder: when you record from camcorder to pc or whatever, you save yourself a headache if you take the tape out of the camcorder - leave it in, and if you have a longer pause it'll shut itself off, but will stay on without a tape in it.
    You'd do your pausing if necessary on your recording destinations: firewire connected unit, s-video connected unit and composite (white/red yellow) connected unit.
    On an older Canon DV650i you can use all the outputs at the same time.
    On my JVC GD390, as long as you don't feed the firewire and the usb into the same unit, you can also use the usb on another computer. On the JVC, you might have to switch disk (as for using stills) for it to see usb. (move your fingers in front of the camera and you'll see the results on the pc screen).
    Oh and if you can get broadband while you're at it, if you use a program called DVdriver from Eagletron (unfortunately WebcamDV, which is better, is only available in demo version as Orangeware has gone bust and esellerate don't support full version install any more), Skype will recognise it as a webcam and your friends elsewhere in the world can watch too.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, got a question, I hope somebody has the answer:
    I am recording a camcorder via s-video (I know I can use firewire, but the image comes via a CCTV switcher) on a DVD recorder RDR-VX410.
    If I leave the recording running, then stop, then finalize disk everything is fine and dvd is readable elsewhere.
    If I am recording/capturing a two part lecture (want to pause it for tea break in the middle) using the pause button and then resume by pressing pause button again, the resulting disk is unreadable by the unit and a message that neither recording or playing on the disk is possible comes up.
    I have set it up for video, rather than VR, recording quality is HQs.
    Thank you for any help you can give me.

Setup: 3 camcorders composite to CCTV switcher, 4th input to CCTV switcher is a vga to composite, to capture what's showing on the projector.
    CCTV outputs feeds: 1PC via Hauppage 1900 with sound from sounddesk, the other CCTV output goes to DVD recorder, sound again from sounddesk
    Quote Quote