VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a tool to convert a DVD to Flash?
    What I want, is to take a DVD I have authored, and convert that iso or whatever to a lower-res version in flash so I can post it on the web so someone could use it just as if they had the DVD. Mainly for getting client approval. Seems like this should be doable, but I don't see anything that references it.
    It's a pretty simple DVD, has a menu that goes to either a particular video clip, or a submenu consisting of links to video clips.

And in case somebody wants to suggest I make html to replace the menus, that's not my goal. I want to show the DVD exactly as it is authored so the client can suggest changes, or even catch a dead menu link or something. So I think it has to be a turnkey plug-and-chug converter...

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never seen such a tool
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be done manually, but you'd have to know flash programming. Sounds like a huge headache.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No such program exists. An auto conversion would be a lot more complicated than you think.

If you want to do it over the web, run the dvd on your system and have the client set up a remote desktop or use some third party remote access system like GoToMyPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not run the dvd yourself and use screen capture software to create a movie - converted into a .flv - for your client to consider.

But no self-respecting author would wish to show a client a dvd with bad links so you should aim to check those yourself first.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD navigational commands are in a different language that what a web browser can read. Nor can a DVD's navigational instructions, as contained in IFO and VOB files, be directly translated into a flash video file.

That's that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is definitely do-able and not that hard if you already have experience with both authoring DVD's and Flash/Actionscript development. I could probably do the whole thing in under an hour. DVD authoring is way less complex than Flash Programming. There's no converter. You need to convert the videos to FLV. Then you need to re-create the menu in Flash and call the FLV files. My only concern is that even if you reduce the DVD to FLV with half the resolution and maybe only 300kbps video and 32kbps audio most likely you'll still end up with huge files that you wouldn't want to stream over the internet. If you're not at an intermediate Level in both Flash and DVD Authoring you'll need to look to hire someone to do this for you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP asked for a straight convert. Of course reauthoring in Flash is do-able, but the original goal was to avoid doing that.
    Quote Quote