VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I began a while back converting my dvd collection to MKV's to store on my htpc for easier playback. I recently came across another snag though. I bought the Planet Earth series a while back on HDDVD and I would like to have them stored on this computer as well. I want to convert them to an mkv the same way I did my other movies and bluray discs, however, since Planet Earth was a series, I would like to convert it to individual video files so that I wont have to potentially fast forward an hour or two to get to the episode I want to watch.

I saw somewhere that Nero Recode would work for this, but I havent been able to get it to work correctly. I believe it was because the post I was reading was referring to a regular DVD and not an HDDVD or bluray. Does anyway know what my best option for this would be? Splitting a bluray or hddvd into episodes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try MakeMKV,it only works from the disk but may work for you in extracting individual episodes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    Try MakeMKV,it only works from the disk but may work for you in extracting individual episodes.
    I tried MakeMKV just now and it wouldn't read the disc. It shouldnt be an issue with copyright or anything, I have anydvd running. Any more suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok don't take this as an insult or anything but the obvious question has to be asked - is it the anydvd HD version? It must be the version that supports bluray and hddvd ripping. - if that is the version you are using then please feel free to ignore this post -

Except one more obvious question - if its a recent release are you using the latest update to Anydvdhd?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Ok don't take this as an insult or anything but the obvious question has to be asked - is it the anydvd HD version? It must be the version that supports bluray and hddvd ripping.
    Haha, Yes its AnyDVD HD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at TSmuxer. The episodes should be in evo files. Remux each to it's directory on your HD. TSmuxer will work from the disk,no need to rip to your HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok just edited my post - just thought I'd cover the basics here -

also don't forget to make sure you have the latest update to anydvd.

Other than that I haven't used the program wulf109 suggested so I can't help you with that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will your htpc play m2ts files?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bluray uses the m2ts format, HDDVD is full of .EVO files.

I keep AnyDVD updated to the most current thing at all times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-DVD stores in evo files and Blueray in m2ts,correct. TSmuxer will convert the evo files to m2ts or a Blueray directory. EVO files are impossible to playback but m2ts files are easy by comparison.
    I looked at one my Battlestar Gallactica HD-DVD's and each episode is in it's own EVO file. there named from the episode name for example the episode "33" is 33.EVO
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So.. Use TSMuxer to get into m2ts format then use what util to strip out the individual episodes? Will MakeMKV handle it from there?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, looking at the file structure, the several EVO files that are there, as mentioned this is with the Planet Earth series.. If this is done the same way as your HDDVD, and each EVO was an episode, then I have 4 main EVO files, but they vary ALOT in file size. Two of them are near 8gb and two are near 4gb. So would that still be right? That just seems like a big difference in file sizes between the episodes as they are all the same length, they are all about 51 minutes long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TSmuxer only takes about 5 minutes to convert an EVO. Convert one of the ones your in doubt about. Play the m2ts in WMP and check the length. I suppose it's possible that your episodes span more than one EVO,and if that's the case there's a solution to that as well. There's a program called EVOdemux which can join a movie in multiple EVO files into a single EVO. Do you see EVO files named earth1.evo and earth2.evo,for example. I've never seen an HD-DVD with more than 2 EVO's to a "movie".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This disc in particular contains, what I'm assuming to be 4 main EVO files. Since this is the Planet Earth series, they are labeled:

PEVOB001.EVO
    PEVOB002.EVO
    PEVOB003.EVO
    PEVOB004.EVO

Converting PEVOB001.EVO to m2ts right this sec. I will check it when it is done. Once again though, if this does work, and the individual EVO's are the episodes contained on the disc, once they are converted over to m2ts, what would be the appropriate way to convert them to MKV? Using Ripbot264 like I typically do with the Blurays? Or is MakeMKV better? I had never heard of it until you made mention of it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to play the m2ts file and its only 24 minutes long for the one that I used TSmuxer to convert. Which means, thats not a full episode. I downloaded EVOdemux and I've been messing around with it, but I have to say I havent completely figured out what I'm doing with it. I tried to find a parent site to look for information on it to figure out how to join them and havent had any luck so far. Can you give me some kind of insight on how this is done?

It actually need two things.
    #1. How to join the EVO's into a single EVO
    #2. Once I have it joined, how do you split the episodes back out?

Man I feel like I'm running in circles chasing my tail with this. Sorry for being a noob If you get tired of helping and know a site that might would teach me how to get all this done easier, please let me know. I'm trying to get all my movies consolidated into one place, and I have several old HDDVD's that I am going to be doing this to.. Thanks for all your help by the way

[edit] By the way, it appears that I only need to actually join the middle two. I believe there were only 3 episodes on the disc. The first and last EVO appear to be 51 minutes long, which is the length of the episodes. The two middle EVO's are the two that I need to join.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EVOdemux has a "Rebuild" button that will join EVO files from the same movie into one large EVO file. Make sure you check the continue to next evo box is checked under Options.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But would that rebuild all 4 into a single EVO file? I said I only need to join those two. If it does rejoin them all, would using TSmuxer's split & cut features be the way to split them back out into individual files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I understand correctly evo 2 & 3 are one episode. Load evo 2 in EVOremux and see what evo files it then loads. If it loads 2 & 3 you should be ok. EVO 1 & 4 are complete episodes?
    TSmuxer also can join EVO files. Load EVO2,then click the Append button and select EVO3,they should both appear in the input box.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appears to be only loading number two..

Opening file PEVOB002.EVO
    Reading...
    File size: 3589 Mbytes.
    VOB number 0 contains 1 video , 1 audio and 3 subpicture streams.
    PTM of first video frame = 00001603
    PTM of last video frame = 07D6AEF8
    Duration = 0:24:21.160
    VC-1 video stream 0 found!
    First PTS = 00001603
    Substream id = 55
    Profile = Advanced
    Level = 3
    Chroma Format = 4:2:0
    Size = 1920x1080
    Display size = 1920x1080
    Aspect ratio = 1:1 (square samples)
    Frame Rate = 23.976 (24000/1001)
    Dolby Digital Plus audio stream 0 found!
    First PTS = 00001603
    Substream id = C0
    Stream 0 is Dolby Digital
    Sampling frequency = 48 kHz
    Transmission bitrate = 448 kbit/s
    Channel arrangement = L + R + C + Ls + Rs, bsid = 6, bsmod =0
    Subpicture stream 2 found!
    First PTS = 001564AE (+15515ms)
    Substream id = 22
    Format = 8bitRLE
    Subpicture stream 1 found!
    First PTS = 001564AE (+15515ms)
    Substream id = 21
    Format = 8bitRLE
    Subpicture stream 0 found!
    First PTS = 002B9DF5 (+31698ms)
    Substream id = 20
    Format = 8bitRLE
    Done.

3258 counted frames (0:02:15.886) in video stream 0.
    35033 calculated frames in video stream 0.

Reading HVA00001.VTI
    9 VTS_EVOB_ATRs found.
    9 VTS_EVOBIs found.
    Done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check my comment on using TSremux to join EVO's.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah nice, didnt even see that, I checked the message on my phone and it must have cropped that part off. I just started it joining anc converting to m2ts in TSmuxer.

Thanks again for all your help man. I'll let ya know if everything goes smooth. Will more than likely be tomorrow though, I'm about to get in bed.
    Quote Quote