VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some people do not like the fingerprint-magnet "shiny" DVD media. I'm one of them. I've not personally used every version of TY media, so I'd like some input from others (some of these are just re-confirmation for me). Only comment on discs you've used, don't guess.
    • Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer - SHINY?
      Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable - NOT SHINY
      Taiyo Yuden White Thermal Hub Printable - NOT SHINY -
      Taiyo Yuden White Silver Hub Printable - ??
      Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Hub Printable - ?? -
      Taiyo Yuden Silver Inkjet Printable - ??
      Taiyo Yuden Shiny Silver Thermal - SHINY?

Descriptions are from supermediastore.com and meritline.com
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ... Bueller? ...

Two days, and nobody can comment on which discs are (or are not) shiny?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I use TYG02 (DVD-R47ZZ100SB) 8X Silver Laquer Thermal, and they are shiny silver.
    Also TYG03 (DVD-R47ZZSB16) 16X Silver Laquer Thermal and they are shiny silver.

Both from Rima.com.

And somewhere around here I have a cakebox of TY economy version, but not sure where or the version they are. But they are also shiny silver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use these....no real "description" though.
    TYG02......DVD-R47ZZ100SB-8

Very Shiny - to me.....but I've never used any other TYs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I bought my TYG02's about two years ago, 600 discs. They still seem to be the most dependable TY. I have about 300 left of the 8X speed. Not one coaster yet, using 3 or 4 different burners. ( I still use a Sharpie, so no printable discs yet.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf - I have some TY CD-R silver inkjet hub printable discs on order. They are scheduled to be delivered to my house on Friday. I have never seen these discs before as previously I used Verbatim silver inkjet hub printable discs. I'm likely to forget about your post, but if you remember and send me a private message about this on Friday I would be glad to reply to you about the discs after I have them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I bought my TYG02's about two years ago, 600 discs. They still seem to be the most dependable TY.
    Same here. I pick these over all of the others.....even the 16x.
    3 different burners and never a coaster....all marked with a Sharpie.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've only used the mirror-shine versions. Only one or two coasters out of hundreds. I love the reliability, but hate the dust and filth they show even though they're properly stored. Unfortunately I have heard a few too many stories that the non-shiny TYs are not quite as reliable, making me shy away and not try them. So I too would be interested in learning how well the matte or white TYs worked for others here...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Each time I have ordered these they have been shiny, except the last time. The last time I got the ones that have those white inkjet printable-like labels on them. This was not my intention, as I thought I was ordering the shiny ones. I wish TY didn't haven't so many varieties, or used more descriptive names, because you kind of never know what you are getting. The ones I bought didn't have a stacking ring either, which I have also never purchased previously. Guess you should look before you order
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    The Silver should always be shiny, the white-top always a matte white. I buy TYG02 and TYG03. The TYG02s I've ordered have all been shiny, the TYG03s I've gotten have all been white. But I think either of those are available both ways (?).

It's kind of annoying that the '03s seem to come only in a tape wrap, but I save the cake boxes and tall spindles from the '02s for them.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ah that makes sense. I am glad I have a large supply of cake boxes as well. I'm just glad I only ordered 200!
    Quote Quote