VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I play the audio on the camcorder or on the TV via composite cables, audio and video are fine. When I try and capture it using the Dazzle 100, the audio is high pitched and chipmunk-like.

I used Pinnacle Studio 12, Instant DVD writer and VLC MP but the audio is high pitched in all of them.

The Dazzle 100 captured VHS tapes perfectly.

Am I missing something very basic?
    Quote Quote  
  2. don't use any anolog to digital converter. "capturing" miniDV requires the tape be transferred to the computer over firewire. use winDV (free) put the cam in play mode, set windv to create type II avis (unless you have some specific need for type I) and press capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops....

Tried transferring via Firewire now, but the audio is still chipmunk like.

I used WinDV and Studio 12. Tried under PAL and NTSC format.

Any other software which will let me slow down the audio to get rid of the high pitchedness?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV audio is simple PCM (either 16bit/48KHz or 12bit/32KHz).

Transfer the DV to disk over IEEE-1394 (not the Dazzle 100), then try to play it.

Use WinDV software to capture and VLC to play. Then import the captured DV-AVI file into Studio 12.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tapes have been recorded in 12 bit.....but I cant find anything on the transfer software that will let me check the bitrate.

I tried transferring over with IEEE-1394..........but when I play it, the audio is still the same: chipmunkish.

I tried transferring with WinDV and Studio 12....in PAL and NTSC, in DV and MPEG............but there is no change with the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fsa3011
    The tapes have been recorded in 12 bit.....but I cant find anything on the transfer software that will let me check the bitrate.

I tried transferring over with IEEE-1394..........but when I play it, the audio is still the same: chipmunkish.

I tried transferring with WinDV and Studio 12....in PAL and NTSC, in DV and MPEG............but there is no change with the audio.
    Is this a problem with one tape or with all tapes?

Does it sound ok at the camcorder analog (red/white) output? If not it could mean a camcorder malfunction.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It happens with all the tapes. When I play them on the camcorder, or use the composites to plug them to the TV, everything is fine.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fsa3011
    It happens with all the tapes. When I play them on the camcorder, or use the composites to plug them to the TV, everything is fine.......
    It would be rare to have DV video ok but audio not. Could the issue be with your computer player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said your tapes were recorded with 12-bit (4-channel) audio? My guess: the Pinnacle DV preset may be set for 16-bit stereo. (I don't know how presets are selected or changed in Pinnacle, as I don't use that piece of crapware. You'll have to figure that one out.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV: Well, I used WMP, WMC and VLC to play the files back....same problem with all three. What else should I look into?

filmboss: What software do you use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running out of ideas. I've never had this audio issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a gspot capture of one of the problematic AVI files. I too am interested in seeing the audio sampling rate.

Here's audio captured at 16Khz audio sampling rate

test_16k.wav

Copied and pasted into an empty WAV, set to 48Khz audio sampling rate

test_48k.mp3

I'm guessing Dazzle is capturing at a lower sampling rate (weird since it should just be a digital transfer), then your apps are playing back at a "normal" sampling rate, creating the chipmunk effect. I could be wrong (and have been, many many times)

See this:

"The DV format allows for 2-channel 16-bit audio (PCM 48KHz) or 4-channel 12-bit audio (PCM 32KHz). I am not aware of any 16-bit 4-channel cameras."
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I presume you wanted a screenshot.....

Your theory makes sense, but I wouldve thought the transfer programme should recognise the bit rate and adjust appropriately.....since its already digitized.

But what do I know...im a noob!

Thanks for all your help!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Dazzle isn't sophisticated enough to know how to handle your 4 Channel 12 Bit audio. It's assuming the audio is 48KHz (which would probably be the case with 90% of the consumer grade camcorders out there) It isn't resampling properly (or at all). The question becomes "How does one fix it?". I've never used Dazzle before, so I have no idea.

Only thing I can think of is to capture via Firewire and WinAvi, then convert your DV avi file to DVD via some Mpeg2 converter program (ConvertXtoDVD, Favc, etc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That isn't DV format. That is MPeg2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    That isn't DV format. That is MPeg2.
    I'll bet Dazzle is encoding on the fly as it captures. It just doesn't know that the audio is 32KHz
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your GSpot depicting the raw capture or the video after processed through Pinnacle? Like the others said, that ain't minidv, which should be a DV-AVI format. Make sure you capture through firewire and use software like WinDV to insure your files stay in the DV-AVI realm.

I have never recorded DV audio in 12bit, so I would not know the best method to convert to 16bit -- but I think a VirtualDub audio conversion would do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Studio 12 to transfer the first one...it must have encoded it too. The one attached below was done with WinDV, and this time, no chipmunks!

This is really strange as I did use WinDV before when 'minidv2dvd' suggested it and the sound was distorted then...

Hope it doesnt revert back to a rodent!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend you use WinDV but with Studio 12 they give you a capture menu and DV format is one of the choices.
    Do not capture that DV cam to anything but DV format. It was Studio 12 that was causing the problem.

Also: Switch the camcorder to 16bit 48KHz stereo audio. Your sound quality will improve for future recordings.
    Quote Quote