VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to capture using external USB capture device for my analogue Sony video 8 tapes to my pc using Ulead Video Studio 10 and Cyberlink Power Producer, both produced output video files have a tiny horizontal bar about 5mm height at the bottom of the video when I set the capture resolution at 720x576.
    There is no such tiny bar at the bottom when I set to 720x480.

Any idea?
    Quote Quote  
  2. i record from a setop box i got the same thing i think it's normal it's a scale bar. Unless you crop while you record you can't remove that i'm affraid
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's probably the head switching noise which is present on VHS, S-VHS, Video8, Hi8 etc. This is due to the way that a rotating drum with two heads is used. As one head scans the tape, the other swings away from the tape. Hence, the signal switches to-and-fro between each head.

It is usually invisible on a TV because the TV deliberately overscans the video image by a few percent. On a computer, you see the whole frame - warts and all.

If you intend to distribute the video on-line or watch it on a PC, you will want to crop it (or just replace with a black bar). If you intend to view the editing video on a TV (e.g., as a DVD), you can leave it as it is since a TV won't show it.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Australia, a PAL country, do not use 720x480!
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you're going to make a DVD mask the noise with an 8 pixel high black bar. That way you won't waste bitrate encoding the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Good point
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Johny,

What do you mean it won't appear on TV?

I noticed the tiny bar appears both when I was capturing the video from my SONY camcorder and when I replay the AVI file from VideoLAN VCL Media Player.

And can you tell me why:
    "In Australia, a PAL country, do not use 720x480! "
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ManUtdFans
    Because TVs overscan the image. They draw a picture that's larger than the visible part of the screen so you don't see the outer edges of the picture. This is done to hide linearity, sizing, and centering problems -- and noise at the edges of the frame.

Originally Posted by ManUtdFans
    And can you tell me why:
    Because PAL uses 576 scan lines. If you only captured 480 scan lines (NTSC standard) you would be missing 20 percent of the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Because TVs overscan the image. They draw a picture that's larger than the visible part of the screen so you don't see the outer edges of the picture. This is done to hide linearity, sizing, and centering problems -- and noise at the edges of the frame.

If I capture the video-8 from my old camcorder in 720x576 and finally burn in DVD, the TV will NOT show the bottom 5mm tiny bar when the DVD is played in DVD player?

And can you tell me why:
    Because PAL uses 576 scan lines. If you only captured 480 scan lines (NTSC standard) you would be missing 20 percent of the picture.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I capture the video-8 from my old camcorder in 720x576 and finally burn in DVD, the TV will NOT show the bottom 5mm tiny bar when the DVD is playing in DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's right.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some of the newer HDTVs have the option to show the entire frame (no overscan). In that case you will see the noise at the bottom of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I just have no idea why the TV will not show the bottom 5 mm bar.
    There are so many sizes/resolutions of plasma/LCD TV in the market, they are all capable to 'disappear' the bar?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ManUtdFans
    I just have no idea why the TV will not show the bottom 5 mm bar.
    It's the way TVs are designed -- intentionally.

There are so many sizes/resolutions of plasma/LCD TV in the market, they are all capable to 'disappear' the bar?
    Yes. All of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read here for the background.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

They overscan the TV so that you don't call them to complain about trash at the bottom of the screen, codes at the top of the screen or blanking showing on the left or right. They are sick of those calls.

BTW, most TV sets don't overscan the VGA (Computer/Game port) so that menus can be seen out to the edge.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    BTW, most TV sets don't overscan the VGA (Computer/Game port) so that menus can be seen out to the edge.
    I swear...everytime I come to this site, I learn something. 8)
    Quote Quote