VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I converted a HD MKV file to a PAL Mpeg II file using TempEng Xpress 4.4. The problem is the subtitles did not transfer over? Is there a way to do this.

Please note I can only convert to Mpeg 1 or 2 files. I have relatives in India whose Sony DVD player cannot accept any other format.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mpeg by its self cannot contain subtitles you will need to author a dvd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, so I chose to make a DVD, will it give me an option to trasfer the subtitle file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know much about mkv or the program you are using. The transfer depends on how the subtitle is stored. If it is stored as text many authoring programs will accept it and place it with the video. If it is stored as a set of images I know nothing about inserting them. Does the program you are using have a dvd output option you could try that? Otherwise or if that didn't work, you will need to extract the subtitles and place them in the authoring program.

However the best option is to just try it with your program or read the documentation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you use mkvextractgui, you can extract the specific subtitle (e.g. it might be idx/sub, .srt , .ssa or some other format of subtitle)

You can use a free DVD authoring program like FAVC that will accept some subtitle formats. I don't use TMPEGEnc products very often so I don't know if that will work. Another easy to use program that works well is convertxtodvd, but it costs $

There might be issues if that DVD player in India is PAL vs. NTSC , or it might play both, you would have to check with your relatives.
    Quote Quote