VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi i am wondering how can i do the following.
    i have a canon xl1 camera . my dv port for the firewire on the camera is broken meaning i cant' use firewire cables to connect my camera to the pc . i am looking for a cable or box or anything that i can connect my camera to my pc so i can capture my videos on sony vegas and also use my camera for live streaming on ustream. is there suck cable that i can have video and audio ? i seen RCA TO USB adaptors can i acomplist this with one of those ? is there someone or a place where they fix my dv port on the camera . i tryed canon they dont work on those camera no more since they are discontinued and i tryed a local store around ny and they told me to chekc with canon. any help is very appreciated .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DJSPYDER, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DJSPYDER
    Hi i am wondering how can i do the following.
    i have a canon xl1 camera . my dv port for the firewire on the camera is broken meaning i cant' use firewire cables to connect my camera to the pc . i am looking for a cable or box or anything that i can connect my camera to my pc so i can capture my videos on sony vegas and also use my camera for live streaming on ustream. is there suck cable that i can have video and audio ? i seen RCA TO USB adaptors can i acomplist this with one of those ? is there someone or a place where they fix my dv port on the camera . i tryed canon they dont work on those camera no more since they are discontinued and i tryed a local store around ny and they told me to chekc with canon. any help is very appreciated .

Bad News:
    Repair will be expensive but maybe in NYC someone is doing a higher end camcorder salvage buiness and can swap modules but camcorder disassembly is difficult. A burned IEEE-1394 port will be their top request so will be top price. Compare repair cost to used functioning model. Also the XL-1 may have head hour meters typical for upper range cams..

Good news is webcam capture is adeqate from the S-Video port. S-Video from a high end model is much better than consumer level.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can transfer tapes you've shot on it using the "corder" part of any MiniDV camcorder. Buy the cheapest you can find to use as a tape drive. That doesn't help you for streaming, but will transfer tapes with no loss of quality. Probably much cheaper than fixing an XL1.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you guys so much for the replys and sorry for the topic name . so from what you guys are telling me there is no work around gettin audio and video to stream from the camera . i kno i can use s video buy i would also get audio at the same time. i seen some RCA To Usb Cables i was wondering if that would work .but looking at the camera i dont see a audio out rca so am thinking it would be also the same thing as using an s video cable. all i want to do is stream on ustream with the camera and get some audio too .
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can still do analog capture (as edDV mentions re S-video). There are plenty of analog capture devices that connect via USB. Many can capture composite video (yellow RCA) or S-video (yellow 4-pin), along with stereo audio (red/white RCA).

Your XL1 is a high-end unit and has all four connections available (no weird proprietary cable to worry about). They are under a flap on the back of the unit (see p56 of the manual).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  7. thank you for the reply. do you have any particular one you would recommendo looking at ?

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    You can still do analog capture (as edDV mentions re S-video). There are plenty of analog capture devices that connect via USB. Many can capture composite video (yellow RCA) or S-video (yellow 4-pin), along with stereo audio (red/white RCA).

Your XL1 is a high-end unit and has all four connections available (no weird proprietary cable to worry about). They are under a flap on the back of the unit (see p56 of the manual).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'll have to defer to someone else to recommend an analog capture device. I suspect budget will be your deciding factor. At some point, they may cost more than a used DV camcorder.

Since your source is digital, you'll find capturing via S-video is pretty decent. People tend to poo-poo it because it is usually associated with consumer analog recording formats that show their weaknesses compared to digital.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  9. well since i just wanna stream audio & video live on ustream i was looking into these products.
    capturing is not a big deal for me since i can get another camera just to capture tapes.

so will any of these products in this link will do the trick ?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1428|&Sort=4

my budget limit would be around $100 i would say . but i wanna be sure i will be able to broadcast on ustream or any other site with my camera.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    I'll have to defer to someone else to recommend an analog capture device. I suspect budget will be your deciding factor. At some point, they may cost more than a used DV camcorder.

Since your source is digital, you'll find capturing via S-video is pretty decent. People tend to poo-poo it because it is usually associated with consumer analog recording formats that show their weaknesses compared to digital.
    Quote Quote  
  10. any body else can help ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stream to what? What is your quality expectation?

Why an XL-1?

If you are streaming to the internet, what format, what bit rate?

Why wouldn't a simple tuner card work?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815276002
    That is their cheapest one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. than x for the reply edDv. to answer you questions . i just wanna stream live video and audio if possible via ustream. i have and xl1 which is all i have and will be using . quality i expect to be much better that what i am used to because i used a webcam so i guess since the quality of the xl1 compared to a web cam its better quality wont be an issue for me. format and bit rate sorry but i have no idea . am sorry i just dont know much about these things that why i wanna keep working with the xl1 until i become more experience and then i can move on to a better camera. but if you think that tuner card will let ustream regconize my camera using Rca or s video then i will buy it i just wanna be sure before i get my hopes up.

Originally Posted by edDV

Why an XL-1?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    than x for the reply edDv. to answer you questions . i just wanna stream live video and audio if possible via ustream. i have and xl1 which is all i have and will be using . quality i expect to be much better that what i am used to because i used a webcam so i guess since the quality of the xl1 compared to a web cam its better quality wont be an issue for me. format and bit rate sorry but i have no idea . am sorry i just dont know much about these things that why i wanna keep working with the xl1 until i become more experience and then i can move on to a better camera. but if you think that tuner card will let ustream regconize my camera using Rca or s video then i will buy it i just wanna be sure before i get my hopes up.

Originally Posted by edDV

Why an XL-1?

I was asking you to define "upstream". Is this just Netflix or Yahoo Messenger? Then the XL-1 will work but is overkill. Use a capture card approved by your application.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think you are confused . Its not "upstream" its Ustream.com the website that allows you to broadcast video and audio live.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are confused . Its not "upstream" its Ustream.com the website that allows you to broadcast video and audio live.
    Any camcorder (S-Video) or webcam (USB) should work.
    Quote Quote  
  16. HERE IS YOUR BEST AND CHEAPEST SOLUTION!!!!! I had the same thing and with stupidity and impatience I also fried the fire wire port on my HD cam.

Black Magic Design has the best HD video equipment at a consumer price.

I got the "Intensity Pro" for HDMI and Analog HD/SD Editing card $199.00

It does full HD recording right from the camera or from tape, if not for this baby I was gonna throw my cam in the garbage

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

oooooo after searching this link for you I seen more stuff I want......

Cheers!
    Quote Quote