VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .vob file with several audio streams (dutch, english, french).

The problem: When I start to play this file always audio stream #1 (Dutch) is chosen and I have to manually choose stream #2 (English).

Is there any way to re-arrange the audio streams OR to set a default stream?

I don't want to re-encode the .vob file to .avi or so, I just want to have stream #2 being chosen as default.

Thank you for any answer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try PgcEdit and this guide (linked from PgcEdit's home page) http://forum.digital-digest.com/showpost.php?p=296707&postcount=1
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for that interesting link, but it doesn't seem to be able to edit .vob files.

Just .ifo and .bup etc...
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you play a VOB file it will default to the first audio track,you could demux the VOB and re-arrange or delete the unwanted audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that the order of the audio tracks in the VOB probably determines which one is the default when an IFO is not used to play the file. If that is true, then the only way to do what you want would be to demultiplex the VOB's into their elementary video and audio streams, and either re-multiplex (for an .mpg file) or re-author them (for VOBs), with the audio in the preferred order.

[edit] MOVIEGEEK wins for faster typing!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Or go back to the source DVD from which the VOB file came and deselect the other audio streams when decrypting.
    [edit] MOVIEGEEK wins for faster typing!
    Hehe, but neither of you are correct. I've had VOBs play the Director's Commentary before, and that wouldn't be the first or default audio stream. Any of the streams might show up when just playing the VOBs (although I agree that usually the 1st stream plays).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When DVD has more than one language on it, the language played is controlled by register value. PgcEdit can change this, but you will have to be familiar with commands.
    Easiest way is to force the language of your choice to play first, others will be available switching with remount.
    But doing that your language selection menu will not work any more.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The thread is about the language you get when playing a VOB, not the DVD. His first post is unclear about it but read knn's second post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, got it.
    I guess in that case use Muxman, not a free one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, although my earlier suggestion was to remove the unwanted audio stream during the decrypting stage, he could also demux the VOB (Open in DGIndex, File->Save Project and Demux Video) and then remux using Muxman (freeware) to get a DVD (and the VOB without the unwanted audio track), or remux using ImagoMPEG-Muxer (freeware) to get either an MPG or a VOB.
    Quote Quote