VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a bunch of pre-recorded PAL Hi8 video tapes that I want to transfer to DVD. I have a PAL DVD-recording deck, but no PAL Hi8 camcorder.

If I use an NTSC camcorder to play the PAL tapes, will the output also be PAL? That way I could use my PAL DVD recorder, and all is well in the world.

In other words, does the NTSC/PAL designation on analog camcorders/vcr's only refer to how the device RECORDS tapes, and it just outputs whatever format the tape was recorded in? (That would mean that I could use an NTSC VCR deck to play back PAL tapes as long as I had a PAL TV to view the image on).

Or is it just plain impossible to play a PAL tape on an NTSC machine and get useful output, of any kind, be it NTSC or PAL?

thanks!!

-- interlooper
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by interlooper
    Hi,

I have a bunch of pre-recorded PAL Hi8 video tapes that I want to transfer to DVD. I have a PAL DVD-recording deck, but no PAL Hi8 camcorder.

If I use an NTSC camcorder to play the PAL tapes, will the output also be PAL? That way I could use my PAL DVD recorder, and all is well in the world.

In other words, does the NTSC/PAL designation on analog camcorders/vcr's only refer to how the device RECORDS tapes, and it just outputs whatever format the tape was recorded in? (That would mean that I could use an NTSC VCR deck to play back PAL tapes as long as I had a PAL TV to view the image on).

Or is it just plain impossible to play a PAL tape on an NTSC machine and get useful output, of any kind, be it NTSC or PAL?

thanks!!

-- interlooper
    I'm afraid you answered your own question.
    You'd have a chance with a PAL camcorder....a slight chance. Some DVD Recorders
    will record in either format via RCA or S-Video....they just have a nasty reputation
    for not advertising this feature. My old Philips records both NTSC and PAL to a virgin/blank disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Generally NTSC DV camcorders will not play PAL DV tapes. This is on purpose to prevent trans-shipment.

You may see some prosumer DV camcorders with PAL tape play feature but this only works to the camcorder LCD, not out the Firewire port. You need to get up into the true multi-standard DVCPro camcorders (>$10k used).

So use E-Bay and find a used PAL model or shop an International Duty Free shop in big cities. Some of the NYC camera shops sell PAL models online.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote