VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O.k, so I'm completely new to this, basically I'm an idiot with a fraps version. Anyways, most of my confusion comes from the new version of fraps. I recorded a lot of my footage at full screen because i forgot that i had got a new one and didn't change it to half screen. So, this new fraps version makes like 1 million small files (2 and a half mins of footage each).

My first question is :

- How do i take all the little files, and make them into one continuously running video?
    - How can i compress them to a smaller resolution/DivX File, i have Virtual Dub installed, but it has no Compress option, in the options menu.

That's about it for now, I'm sure ill have questions later as solutions are brought up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Tried the append function in virtualdub, File->Append? it might also work if you name the video files like video001.avi, video002.avi, video003.avi and open the first and all will be opened directly.

2. Select Video->Full Processing and then Video->Compression and choose divx or xvid(it they aren't in the list then install the divx codec or xvid codec).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so i did all that everything seems fine, how do i save this or compress it etc? Im completely new to this lol, so if i sound like an idiot it's cuz i am. When i selected the divxcodec it didn't process/load anything, is this normal? And the append thing DID work.

I tried to save as .AVI to desktop, and i got an error:

Video Compression Error: The source format is not acceptable. And a little box popped up with some dealies on it.

Tabs:

Main, Video, Perf, Log

The progress bar didn't start :'(
    Quote Quote  
  4. Install ffdshow, enable fraps in the ffdshow vfw configuration (gold colored icon); set to libavcodec instead of disabled

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i did that Fraps enabled thing, what does that do?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's a decoder. Vdub relies on the Video For Windows (VFW) system. In order for it to "see" the video, you need a proper VFW decoder for your source material
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, is this right? It's like 3 mins in total and this thing says, Projected file size: 37,000 MBs
    Quote Quote  
  8. You need to select a compression codec (e.g. XviD, DivX..etc..) otherwise you will save as uncompressed = huge

Go back and read step #2 in Baldrick's post
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    You need to select a compression codec (e.g. XviD, DivX..etc..) otherwise you will save as uncompressed = huge

Go back and read step #2 in Baldrick's post
    Ok, Well i watched what it had done just to see. And the video is running at like 1fps or something. Is there an option i missed to choose rendering FPS?
    Quote Quote  
  10. When you record in FRAPS it gives the option of several framerates

What is the framerate of your video(s)? You can use mediainfo to determine this

If you followed the steps above, it will give the same framerate as the original source; otherwise you are asking for a framerate conversion which may or may not be difficult to keep audio in sync depending on what you have

You can try video=>frame rate in vdub and it will give you some options. You can also do it through avisynth, and have more control, but it might be a bit difficult for beginners to learn this method
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The frame rate of my fraps content was 30-60 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The output video fps should be the same fps as the input fps; you can double check with mediainfo.

How are you determining that the video is "playing at 1fps?", what video player are you using?

Also if you are playing back the uncompressed video, the bitrate might be too high for your old computer to decode, resulting in choppy playback.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Umm, I was using GOMTV player not DivX which may have ben the problem? And it wasn't VERIFIED 1 FPS, just like an over exagguration. But it was bad.. No where near the quality i play the game/Fraps at.

edit: was-wasnt
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just to be clear, you are saying that your encoded DivX avi file is playing back around 1fps in GOMTV player?

What happens when you use VLC or SMPlayer to play back the file?

Post the information from mediainfo (view=>text) or a gspot screenshot here.

The "quality" might be a different issue. eg. if you used a low bitrate or high quantizer you will get poor quality
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a the compression error again... When i went to Re-save it with a codec chosen.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Error Code-2 i didnt include that in the previous post.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What did you try to "re-save"? the original Fraps AVI, or the DivX AVI ?

What did you do differently the 2nd time?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the first time when i said it was a huge file, its cuz i had forgotten to re-apply the codec when i re-opened the file. This time when i applied the codec i got the error again.

In summary this is what im doing:

-Opening the file
    -Adding 2nd Part of the Video
    -Chosing Codec DivX in Options>Compression
    -File>Save AVI>Desktop>Random Name.

Then, instead of it starting the compression i get the error.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Maybe there is something different about these new fraps files? This works for the old fraps files

How big are they ? Can you upload a smaller one to a free hosting site (e.g. mediafire.com)? and I'll examine it
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They're huge.. Like im looking at 20-30min videos from www.warcraftmovies.com and they're like 500,000KB. One single 2 and a half min video of mine on fraps is like 4 million KBS... I dunno WTF is going on. I DID record in fullscreen but that still makes a 5 min video 4 mill KBS.

edit: Maybe theres something wrong with my DIVX codec?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well it works with the older fraps; I used to do this exact same thing to record gameplay footage

Maybe try using xvid or something else? Double check to see if fraps is still enabled in ffdshow vfw configuration

You could use vdub to cut a small sample like 1sec (video=>direct stream copy; audio=>direct stream copy), then use the mark in/ mark out to mark a segment to copy
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup Still active in ffdshow.. :'(

VirtualDub Error:

Video Compression Error: The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)
    Quote Quote  
  23. I just upgraded my fraps to 2.9.8, and did a quick test and it worked fine.

It must be something you are doing incorrectly on your end, or your system configuration.

Make sure your ffdshow is current, and your vdub is current. Make sure you are activating fraps in the VFW interface in ffdshow (gold icon, not red icon)

1) load the video
    2) video=>full processing mode
    3) video=>compression xvid mpeg-4 (I didn't try divx)
    4) audio=>full processing mode
    5) audio=>compression lame mp3 (44100KHz, 128kbps, CBR)
    6) file=>save as avi

Edit: I just tested Divx 6.8.5 and it worked as well.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea i just did the Xvid its working fine now, and compressing. BUT, I see its Rendering at 9FPS.. Why? I can watch the raw footage at 60 FPS but its process says rendering at 9FPs?
    Quote Quote  
  25. When it's encoding, it takes longer (more cpu intensive) than just decoding. This is normal. A faster cpu will encode faster. A smaller framesize will encode faster. Lower quality settings will encoder faster.

BTW, the high quality HD game trailers are all done with h264, not divx or xvid. This is because of far better compression (better quality at the same bitrate), but it's even more CPU intensive to encode (and decode)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok sweet! it's working fine now! Thank you so much aha. Learned about as fast as someone could i guess. Now its time to learn editing! lol
    Quote Quote