VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am converting blu-rays to compressed blu-rays. First I'm using tsmuxer to strip out everything but the movie stream, and the contained tracks/subs I don't want, then using xvid4psp am converting to x264 and compressing. I'm sticking with the the ac3-640 audio for now, tried to keep HD sound, it's one of the awesome things about blu-ray, but had issues trying to get it work. I could get the dts-ma to work only, then the true-hd, then ultimately neither, or would have probs remuxing to blu-ray, with the compressed video. anyway...

What I'm looking for is to compress the movies but not so much as to start losing any remarkable video quality. I want them to essentially look the same, so am not looking to greatly lessen the file size. I can't think of any reason they'd be played on anything other than my pc, or other pc's, so does not have to meet any standalone player requirements.

I wasn't really sure where to start, and was concerned about how low a bit-rate I would end up with, so I started by encoding a movie to ~1/3 decreased size, copying the ac3-640 audio over with it, ending up with a ~21GB file (from 32) and a bitrate of 16mbps. the quality was very good so am pretty stoked, but wondering if lowering the bitrate more would be acceptable or not (as far as keeping best possible video quality)??

I'm using 2 pass, by size, and have it set to Ultra, the middle one, and it's set to high@4.1. here's the thing though, I just did another movie, same approx size, and it's taking 25-30 hours to complete these. I don't mind the time really, but you can't do much else with the computer during that time. Is there another setting(s) I can use to still maintain excellent video quality, but take less time??

I was testing another movie that was already at a lower bitrate, about 10mbps, so wanted to copy it 1:1, I actually ended up with a bit larger file size, but I wanted a quick copy, set it single pass and Turbo, it took like 4 hours tops, and actually came out quite good, i was surprised.

Thanks!
    rlr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't quite understand why you are bothering to re-encode if you don't want any appreciable loss and don't really want the file size to drop much.

That said, it really sounds like you would be better serviced using BD Rebuilder for this project, rather than Xvid4PSP
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well.... because I can re-encode the movies, and at least knock off a third of the size, I can fit considerably more movies on a hard drive. hard drives are cheap these days, but I only want so many hanging off my case. What I was looking for is feedback on the settings I'm using, if there was a faster way, or what a minimum quality bitrate would be, although I guess that would just make the process longer. The couple of movies I've made with this process still look brilliant, as far as I'm concerned, and I am very particular about quality.

the only problem with bd rebuilder is that it doesn't lose the trailers and extras, which are a waste of space, and a further waste to compress, quality would have to suffer much more to get the file size down, there's way more extra content on BD's than DVD's, it's at sometimes ridiculous, like equal to the size of the movie, I wouldn't want all that on my hard drive. The one thing it does that I do like is keep the menus, the menus are a cool interface for the movie and I like having the chapter menus, also the movies seem to operate better from their original structure, like rewind works much better for me, with a complete copy. originally I wanted to strip out the extras and keep the menus, like you could do with clonedvd, and also compress the video, but I wasn't able to find a fairly painless method of doing so, or at all. I don't want to spend all my time re-encoding movies, but I do feel like I need to try and condense them a little if possible.

rlr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BD Rebuilder has a main movie only mode according to the rather long Doom post about it, and the author is claiming 12 - 16 hours to encode down to DVD9 size.

The only way to get a faster encode is to choose one of the single pass quality based encodes instead of the two pass encode. That will get you back down to 12 - 16 hours.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    runLoganrun wrote,

"but I wanted a quick copy, set it single pass and Turbo, it took like 4 hours tops, and actually came out quite good, i was surprised."

I find this same setting (Turbo)desirable as well (for my eyes)....... xvid4PSP does a good enough job for me....Might give Megui a try...
    But with either APP, if you want quality then expect the longer encodes and larger file size...

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic333634.html
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote