VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an mpg file which is 2 GB. It is PAL format, it was recorded in SP mode so its a 1 hour long video. I converted it to divx with Gordian Knot and it lasted 4 hours! Is that normal???
    My PC is AMD Athlon 1.84 GHz, 768 mb of ram
    I made a divx which is 700 Mb, resized to 640x480.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    edit: nevermind
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I forgot to say that the same file with the same Autogk software was converted to the same divx in 1 hour 40 minutes on my friend's PC. It also 1.84 GHz processor but 2 GB of RAM. Is that important?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It takes me on a 2.0GHz machine 6 hours or so for about a 2hr MPEG. Always been that way for me. I do Xvid 640x480 and select one of the preset sizes so its 2-pass.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you talking about auto GK or GK .. Get a grip lad ! xp1800 is a bit puny, today..
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by szalaikornel
    I converted it to divx with Gordian Knot and it lasted 4 hours!
    It's an apple to oranges comparison since you say you used Gordian Knot and your friend used AutoGK, and since these are 2 different computers we're talking about. Why don't you reencode the same thing using AutoGK and then tell us how long it took? At least that will remove the other computer from the equation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tested everything. I used the same mpg file of 2GB, the same version of Auto Gordian Knot and the conversion to divx (640x480) lasted about 4 hours on my pc and 1 hour 40 minutes on friend's PC.
    My PC is 1.84 GHz his is also! My RAM is 768 mb, his is 1 GB. This is the only noticable difference between our pc's.
    k-lite codec pack and divx7 is installed on both computers. I really dont know why is converting to divx on my pc so slow.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You used AutoGK for this test? Then please post the log.

But again, you can't really compare the 2 computers. Maybe you have a bunch of crap running in the background using all your computer resources while his is "clean". Do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and check what's using your RAM. Check what loads on startup and uses RAM. Maybe you don't even have any RAM available after the computer boots up.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by szalaikornel
    Well I tested everything. I used the same mpg file of 2GB, the same version of Auto Gordian Knot and the conversion to divx (640x480) lasted about 4 hours on my pc and 1 hour 40 minutes on friend's PC.
    My PC is 1.84 GHz his is also!
    1.84 GHz what? If his computer is a 1.84 GHz Core 2 Duo it will be shitloads faster than you Athlon. Look into the Divx settings. The "Encoding Mode" on the "Codec" tab of the Divx config dialog can make a 10x difference in encoding speed. And check to see if you both have the same version of Divx.
    Quote Quote