VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    using convertx, dvd5 ..

how many xvid videos can i put onto the dvd without losing the quality of the source avi?

for instance i have 2 avi's (1200 and 1100 kbps), would encoding them in high quality setting be better or same as medium quality? from the vso board i see a sticky that mentions that medium quality is fine, and should be used with any project over 1hr20min?

now i tested both high and med settings.. high gives me average bitrate of 3600kbps .. whereas medium gives 2500kbps. yet when i play it back on standalone dvd player, i notice no difference really.. maybe medium looks better, does this make sense?

basically should i be going with whatever the bitrate on the avi is? i mean most avi are 700-1100kbps range.. so sounds like i can put more then 3 of them on 1 dvd without losing any quality from it at all.. true?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To re encode anything with higher bitrate does not make much sense, unless you are encoding original file (not compressed), because information is just not there any more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    To re encode anything with higher bitrate does not make much sense, unless you are encoding original file (not compressed), because information is just not there any more.
    ya makes sense definitely what you're saying.. so even using LOW on convertx would be ok? whats the difference really between these 3 settings? is it the output size of disc? cause i tested that high and med and the difference in size was 4.3Gb to 2.89GB.

so technically if the avi's are 700-1100kbps in quality then i should be able to put 3-4 with no issues on 1 dvd5? even though the time of the dvd will then be 4-5hrs in length.. correct? quality will be same as source (avi)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wingfan
    ya makes sense definitely what you're saying.. so even using LOW on convertx would be ok? whats the difference really between these 3 settings? is it the output size of disc? cause i tested that high and med and the difference in size was 4.3Gb to 2.89GB.

so technically if the avi's are 700-1100kbps in quality then i should be able to put 3-4 with no issues on 1 dvd5? even though the time of the dvd will then be 4-5hrs in length.. correct? quality will be same as source (avi)?
    To your first question, Yes, increasing bitrate will increase file size.
    To the second. If bitrate is 700-1100, than increasing that will not make better quality, only bigger file.
    And Yes, you can fill DVD5 to 4.3Gb with as many files as it fit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker

To your first question, Yes, increasing bitrate will increase file size.
    To the second. If bitrate is 700-1100, than increasing that will not make better quality, only bigger file.
    And Yes, you can fill DVD5 to 4.3Gb with as many files as it fit.
    got it, thanks for your help tinker!
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPEG 2 is simply not as efficient as MEPG4. You typically need 2 to 4 times the bitrate when converting Divx/Xvid to MPEG 2 for DVD. Exactly how much will depend on the source. Use and encoder that supports constant quality encoding if you don't want to waste time figuring out how much each video requires.

Better yet, just get a Divx certified DVD player. Then you can just play most of your AVI files without converting them. You can get a Philips DVP 5990 for about US$55. That player even has a USB port and can play AVI files from a thumb drive or external USB hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to jagabo, who actually posted an answer that explains the situation.

When you are converting formats, depending on your encoder you may have to use a higher bit rate to keep the same quality as your source. Encode your 1200 and 1100 Kbps AVI files to DVD at those bit rates (1200 and 1100) and then do it at, say, 4000. Compare. You tell me if you notice a difference (hint - you will). Unfortunately tinker seems to think you are talking about encoding Divx to Divx and his answers make sense in that context, but not in the context of converting to DVD.

As far as the original poster thinking that lower bit rate encodes may be as good as higher ones, all I can say is that there may not be much difference between 2500 and 3600 Kbps using this Convertx program, but if you were to compare maybe 2500 and 4500 you should notice a difference. Do whatever works for you and if you're OK with lower bit rate encodes then do it. You're the final judge of what's acceptable to you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, i do have a divx certified player .. but unfortunately not many of my family members do, and lending out divx discs isnt an option.. hence why i have to convert to dvd.

jman98, i dont think tinker is thinking im going from divx to divx, could be wrong. but what he says does make sense .. i dont notice a difference from the converted avi to dvd at 2500 or 4000kbps. its just space on disc thats noticeable
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry wingfan.
    Desrigard what I told you, I missed first part where you use CdnvertXtoDVD.
    I just concentrated on xvid video to burn to disc.

xvid(avi-mpeg4) to DVD(mpeg2) will always end up with larger file size, if you want to keep same qulity, as jagabo explained.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok now im a bit confused, if the original xvid is 700-1100kbps (video quality) putting it to high encoding (which then converts it to 4000kbps+) makes the video on the dvd look better then leaving it on medium encoding (2500kbps+)?

i understand a video at 2500kbps does not look as good as 4000kbps, im not debating that.. what im asking is xvid/avi videos at 700-1100kbps, does the quality get better/worse/same using the different options in convertx?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for confussion.
    To get this straight. If you are converting mpeg4(xvid, DivX, also referred to on forums as avi) to dvd file format (mpeg2), than, as jagabo correctly explained, the file will be larger because of different codec used.
    To convert a movie usualy 90 to 120 minutes long, you will end up with one movie per DVD5.
    You can use lower bitrate for encoding, but anything less than 2500-3000 average bit rate will not be very good. It also depend on size of TV screen you are projecting it on.
    Usually anything between 4500 and 5000 kbs average is OK. Commercial movies are usually around 6000-7000 average, depends.
    To see how big the file will be at certain bitrate, use bitrate calculator from this site.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VideoHelp_Bitrate_calculator

But if you want to re encode existing xvid file to xvid with higher bitrate, than that does not make any sense.
    That is what my original post was referring to.
    Quote Quote