VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need some software to play some HD DVD movies I just bought with my LG multi drive so far I have had no luck finding software for playback
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your drive didn't come with the HD edition of PowerDVD or similar ?

I suspect that unless you have AnyDVD HD running in the background, you will have to buy a commercial software player to play HD DVDs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yea it did but when I popped in Alpha Dog into the drive and loaded the software powerdvd software it came up saying it needs an update to play the disc when I hit ok it came up telling me theres a problem with my internet connection but its connected just fine
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you go to cyberlink.com the maker of powerdvd and get an update directly from the site.Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks its working now *smacks head* i should have thought of that first
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, this may be very bad advice. Cyberlink's current version of PowerDVD does NOT support HD DVD playback, although I've seen some info on the internet on how to hack it to make it support it. It is apparently capable of HD DVD playback but they turned it off in the current release. Alternatively, you may be forced to look for older versions of PowerDVD such as 6.x and 7.0 and 7.1 which still did support HD DVD. Cyberlink will not give you these versions so you'll have to think of an alternate means of getting them.

guns1inger - It's possible to buy drives with no software added on. If you buy from newegg.com or a similar seller you'll get an OEM version of the drive with no software at all depending on the drive you buy.

I would advise great caution before updating PowerDVD through the internet. As I said the current release does NOT support HD DVD playback and Cyberlink is extremely unlikely to provide you with a version that will do it. Each new release of PowerDVD (and WinDVD for that matter) gets (in my opinion) more and more consumer hostile and more and more pro-Hollywood.
    Quote Quote