VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an older Yamaha receiver (RX-V496) which will output Dolby Digital 5:1 and DTS 5:1 via the coaxial audio cable (or optical cable) from the DVD player.

I am thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player and am wondering if these players will typically output these two audio formats (in addition to the "new improved" versions of same) -- thus sparing me from having to upgrade to a newer receiver.

Is this something that would be controlled from menus on the Blu-Ray player, or will the Yahama amp somehow filter out the information from the coaxial signal that it needs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to check your receiver specs for the Dolby inputs. If the max frequency is 48K decoding you will most likley need a new receiver. If your receiver goes to 96K you should be OK. Blu-Ray players limit the output on the coax and fiber outputs, the only way to get the higher resolution audio is through the HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must respectfully disagree with kidvid.

I have an older non-hdmi sony 5.1 dolby digital amplifier. Just like yours mister-mike it does Dolby 5.1 and Dts 5.1 (the first iteration not the newer hd versions).

I have a playsation 3 and it has a fiber optic output jack. My Sony amp has a fiber optic input jack. I have both connected with a fiber optic jack. I get perfect 5.1 audio.

It is NOT in hd audio, neither Dolby True nor Dts master audio. What happens is it is downconverted to 48khz dvd level. In essence you are getting the dvd track out of the bluray track. This obviously isn't the full audio impact available from the bluray movie but it enables you to use your existing equipment.

-------------------------------------------------

One side note - I just re-read kidvids post - yes my Sony amp does do 96khz but I think it is only through the multi-input six channel ports on the receiver. I still believe I am getting downconverted 48khz audio from the playstation 3.

Please remember my Sony amp is non-hdmi but I can still get great sounding 5.1 Dolby and DTS off my bluray movies.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If your receiver has 5.1ch analog inputs buy a BD player with analog output and use that,that way you can listen to TrueHD and DTS-HD on Blu Ray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @moviegeek - really?

My receiver has 5.1 analog inputs but the ps3 only has fiber optic output.

I have a bluray player on my vista pc. Is it possible to get 5.1 ch analog ouputs from a pc to do true hd? I have a creative xfi soundcard.

Come to think of it has the left right front center sub config. I've done it before on dvd level output on an older computer. Shouldn't I be able to do that with the newer computer?

If I do the headphone output jacks to rca size adapters from the analog outputs on the soundblaster would that enable dolby true hd and dts-hd?

What about lossless pcm? Would that carry over too?

Man this is interesting. I'm gonna have to dig up my long audio cables and try this out sometime. I may never buy a new amp as long as my existing one works with the full hd audio too.

(though I got re-rig the remote that I had working on media center so I can use a remote on the pc - plus I have to reinstall my bd edition enabled Powerdvd so I can play blurays on the vista pc again).

I'll be eager to report back. Though I may not try this tonight of course.

Plus I would need to output as speakers instead of spdif to get this to work right wouldn't I?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yoda313,
    What I mean by analog is the RCA jacks:

Analog is PCM so the BD player decodes the HD audio,optical/coaxial is limited to DD/DTS 5.1 or 2ch PCM.
    I am not aware of any soundcards with 5.1ch analog output,your software player and soundcard also have to support HD audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    yep..it's all about what device is doing the decoding...the advantage of the digital connections is to pass the "pure" digital stream to the receiver with no signal loss but if your receiver doesn't understand it when it gets there you've done no good. Otherwise you must decode the audio on the player, then pass the audio via analog cables to the receiver which simply amplifies it and sends it to the speakers.

Your computer is not going to play the newer HD audio formats and neither is your older 5.1 DD/DTS receiver..so for that reason your only option is to buy a br player that can decode the new audio formats/output it via analog rca cables and feed it into your receiver that can receive the analog input.

So with the 5.1 input what gets done with the extra 2 channels of the 7.1 audio track?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @moviegeek - I do know what you mean by rca jacks. I was referring to adapting the outputs from the soundcards with simple headphone to rca converters.

@greymalkin - Wouldn't the bluray version of powerdvd decode true hd and dts master? I have the bd edition powerdvd that came with my bdrom on the pc.

Also @greymalkin - that is a good question about the 5.1 vs 7.1 - however since my soundcard is only a 5.1 wouldn't it downmix it to 5.1 internally before piping it to any speaker set?

And lastly @both - now that I think of it I do believe I tested this with bluray. I think stopped it because at the time I had not yet upgraded my pc to a dual core nor a newer video card and hence the video was prone to stuttering. Now that I have a useable remote and a dual core processor (along with a ati all-in-wonder 512mb hd video card) I may try to do this again.

Though to be honest I don't believe it will replace my ps3 as my main bluray player. However both are in the same room so it is doable. One possiblity if I get this going again is to use the pc for bluray AND hd-dvd. I just never got used to having the hd-dvd drive added on to the xbox 360. Plus I've had near meltdowns recently so I'm trying to keep the xbox free of other clutter and strain. So if I were to use my pc for hd-dvd AND bluray that would work out pretty well.

Does anyone know if mpc home cinema supports hd-dvd playback from real physical commercial discs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    It is NOT in hd audio, neither Dolby True nor Dts master audio. What happens is it is downconverted to 48khz dvd level. In essence you are getting the dvd track out of the bluray track. This obviously isn't the full audio impact available from the bluray movie but it enables you to use your existing equipment.
    I'm not sure about discs that are out in the wild, but according to the specs, aren't Blu-ray discs required to have at least an AC3, dts or LPCM track? So therefore there would be no conversion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_disc#Codecs
    Quote Quote