VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Puerto Rico
    Search Comp PM
    I know that they do come single or dual with audio/video outputs on the opposite end or just a single video one but are this 2 totally dfferent types of Svideo connections? Because I had a single video output S video connector that was for my PC video board and it broke so I replaced it with a dual output one as it was the only thing available in the market outthere but nothing comes out! So are this 2 S cables completely different technologies incompatible with each other or what?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Roadrunner JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe someone else can answer you better.
    In the meantime...
    I've never heard of more than one kind of S-Video connection.
    I use S-Video so have looked around for cables, etc., and believe the sockets and connectors are all the same.
    Yes, some cables come just with the S-Video connector, and some include the dual audio RCA connectors too. That doesn't make any difference. The S-Video connectors and sockets are the same.
    When we talk about connectors, the terminology is male and female. Most cables are double male, i.e. a male on each end of the cable. Most sockets installed in electronic equipment are female.
    So when you say you installed a dual output connector on your PC video board, I really have no idea what you mean. My guess is you would have to install the same kind as the original.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    PunkMaister

    This may help

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

    rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member themaster1's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: France
    Search Comp PM
    It's all well explained on wikipedia buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_video

    There are different types: 4 pins, 7 pins, 9 pins

    edit: looks like we posted at neary the same time ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1
    It's all well explained on wikipedia buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_video

    There are different types: 4 pins, 7 pins, 9 pins

    edit: looks like we posted at neary the same time ...
    Only the 4 pin version is S-Video. The 7, 9 pin female sockets are proprietary supersets where pins 1-4 usually will take a 4 pin S-Video cable for Y/C. Function assignment of pins 5-9 vary by manufacturer and by model within the same manufacturer. The 7, 9 pin versions are often called "TV Port".

    Never assume the function of pins 5 to 9. Read the documentation for that specific product.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Puerto Rico
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by themaster1
    It's all well explained on wikipedia buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_video

    There are different types: 4 pins, 7 pins, 9 pins

    edit: looks like we posted at neary the same time ...
    Only the 4 pin version is S-Video. The 7, 9 pin female sockets are proprietary supersets where pins 1-4 usually will take a 4 pin S-Video cable for Y/C. Function assignment of pins 5-9 vary by manufacturer and by model within the same manufacturer. The 7, 9 pin versions are often called "TV Port".

    Never assume the function of pins 5 to 9. Read the documentation for that specific product.
    Well I've never seen the 9 pin connectors in fact this is the very first time I hear of them, but anyhow it is a 7 pin connector what I'm dealing with. The one that broke had a male S-Video connector that plugged into the video card S-Video output jack and ended in a female RCA type connector, the only difference between the one that broke and the one that I ended up buying is that it ends in 2 RCA connectors one for audio and one for video, I assumed that at least the video would come out thru one of the RCA connectors but obviously that is not the case. To be honest I'm not even sure for what I've read on the subject if my current videocard would allow for this type of connection at all or if it's strictly S-Video to S-Video without any kind of adaptabiliy to RCA or any other connection whatsoever.
    If so then that's it for me, at least until I can dish out 6000 or more in the latest state of the art video equipment so just I can get a TV image, thx anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PunkMaister
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by themaster1
    It's all well explained on wikipedia buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_video

    There are different types: 4 pins, 7 pins, 9 pins

    edit: looks like we posted at neary the same time ...
    Only the 4 pin version is S-Video. The 7, 9 pin female sockets are proprietary supersets where pins 1-4 usually will take a 4 pin S-Video cable for Y/C. Function assignment of pins 5-9 vary by manufacturer and by model within the same manufacturer. The 7, 9 pin versions are often called "TV Port".

    Never assume the function of pins 5 to 9. Read the documentation for that specific product.
    Well I've never seen the 9 pin connectors in fact this is the very first time I hear of them, but anyhow it is a 7 pin connector what I'm dealing with. The one that broke had a male S-Video connector that plugged into the video card S-Video output jack and ended in a female RCA type connector, the only difference between the one that broke and the one that I ended up buying is that it ends in 2 RCA connectors one for audio and one for video, I assumed that at least the video would come out thru one of the RCA connectors but obviously that is not the case. To be honest I'm not even sure for what I've read on the subject if my current videocard would allow for this type of connection at all or if it's strictly S-Video to S-Video without any kind of adaptabiliy to RCA or any other connection whatsoever.
    If so then that's it for me, at least until I can dish out 6000 or more in the latest state of the art video equipment so just I can get a TV image, thx anyway...
    There are many versions of 7 pin for different models of laptops. Some put composite on the extra pins with switch circuits, some put audio on pins, some try VIVO but that is usually 9 pin. The current HP/Compaq laptops with NVidia chipsets have 9-pin with adapters that break out S-video, composite and high def YPbPr. Some ATI cards have similar but with different pin outs.

    Get the picture? You need to match the adapter to the model number of the laptop or display card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads